DX Application Performance Management

• 1.  CA APM MOM High Availability Configuration

Posted Sep 10, 2017 01:23 AM

Hi Team,

As far as I know (in theoretical which may be wrong/partially wrong as well), to setup MOM in high availability, we need to setup two MOMs with Smartstor and PostgreSQL database on same SAN storage in which only one can write at a time. There is also need of a load balancer as well that will check the availability of both MOMs on port 5001 along with the preference to which it will redirect. The services of APM will run on both MOM simultaneously. In the configuration of the agent, for newer 10.5 version, we will provide the IP of load balancer and for older version, we will provide IP of collector.

Is it the same way or there are some changes in the functioning of MOM in HA? Apart from this, if I need to configure the MOM in high availability, do I need to do some settings in the properties/xml files at MOM as well? If yes, please provide those configurations along with the MOM (active/passive) on which that needs to be done.

Thanks & Regards,

Balram

• 2.  Re: CA APM MOM High Availability Configuration
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 10, 2017 05:01 PM

Dear Balram:

It is unclear what type of knowledge search you have done . A quick Google search on MOM HA faoilover found

What are the steps to implement failover and High Availability (HA) MOMs? 

November 2013 - Webcast Replay - High Availability 

Among others

Please review and let us know if that helped. 

Thanks 

Hal German

• 3.  Re: CA APM MOM High Availability Configuration

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 10, 2017 06:43 PM

Hi Balram,

Per the first link Hal provided, only 1 MOM will actually be active at any point in time. Both MOMs will be started but the passive MOM will just sit and wait for the active MOM to fail. That process uses a file locking mechanism and properties do need to be configured in the MOM IntroscopeEnterpriseManager.properties file.

Also another good source is JMertin 's Blog post on "How to configure MoM fail-over" Joerg Mertin's Blog 

Hope all that helps. Please let us know if you have additional questions.

Thanks

Lynn