Rally Software

• 1.  How do I not lose access to Test Cases when closing a Project?

Posted Sep 12, 2017 10:53 AM
      |   view attached

Hi,

I'm a SQA consultant working with a client's instance of Agile Central. Last year I had created a significant number of test cases for them that were tied to User Stories. They were organized:

TC > US > F > I > T

Test Case > User Story > Feature > Initiative > Project(?)

When we closed the Project (T) we lost complete and total access to the test cases and user stories associated with it.

Is this expected behavior? Should we organize the Test Cases differently? I know there is the Test Plan "functionality", but this is not how the TCs were created for this project. Do They need to be added to a Test Plan to not lose access to them when the project is closed?

I've attached the Portfolio Hierarchy in case that would help as well.

• 2.  Re: How do I not lose access to Test Cases when closing a Project?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 12, 2017 10:21 PM

Hi Dan,

That is expected behavior. Work items inside a closed project are not accessible even Subscription admin. So if you still need to use the same Test cases, you could copy them then change their project scope as which you still need them.

The articles below outline more detail. 

Manage Test Cases | CA Agile Central Help 

Set Up Your Teams | CA Agile Central Help 

I hope this helps.

Kun.

• 3.  Re: How do I not lose access to Test Cases when closing a Project?

Posted Sep 13, 2017 09:54 AM

I mean, it doesn't REALLY help. The "Copy test cases" solution is not a solution, it's a workaround of a poor design.

Copying of a test case puts "Copy Of..." in the title which has to be manually corrected.

Then you have to edit the relationship of that TC to move it out of the project, which I don't even know all of the steps necessary to do that.

And you have to do that for EVERY test case. Which, at this point, numbers ~500. Can you conceive of the time commitment necessary to achieve this?

Granted, had we known that at the time we would have organized this differently. But we didn't. And who would think that would be the functionality? What with the point of a test case being the need to repeatedly execute it for future feature release and regression testing.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. Hope you have a nice day.

• 4.  Re: How do I not lose access to Test Cases when closing a Project?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 14, 2017 04:27 AM

Hi Dan,

As you know the project just like a container for a set of releases and iterations, and their related user stories and tasks. You can think of the project just like a box which is storing some items(US, DE, TC...etc). You could put or take or see anything from it when it is open. But when it is closed. You can't put or take or see anything from it. 

So if you have many test cases have to be used again. I think you need to move them to the new project or just keep the project open. 

Sorry as I know this is not the answer you were hoping for. But remove all access after the project be closed is expected behavior.

Hope you have a nice day. : )

Kun

• 5.  Re: How do I not lose access to Test Cases when closing a Project?
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 14, 2017 09:35 AM

Here is a custom app utility that will copy over an entire test folder hierarchy full of test cases. 

• 6.  Re: How do I not lose access to Test Cases when closing a Project?

Posted Sep 14, 2017 01:34 PM

You know, this just proves my point. The fact that something like this had to be developed and distributed via GitHub is a sign of SERIOUS usability problems.

Thanks for providing this. I will attempt to make use of it. I do have a question, though, What happens if I copy a Test Folder w/ test cases from a Child Project to a Parent Project, what happens?

Meaning:

• Project 1
      • Copy TF1 & TF2 to here 
      • Project 2
        • TF1 - Test Folder 1
          • TC1 - Test Case 1
        • TF2 - Test Folder 2
          • TC2 - Test Case 2

I assume they'll be copied successfully. What will the Test Plan view look like when viewed from the perspective of Project 1? Will it look like:

• TF1 - Test Folder 1
      • TC1 - Test Case 1
    • TF2 - Test Folder 2
      • TC2 - Test Case 2
    • TF3 - Test Folder 1
      • TC3 - Test Case 1
    • TF4 - Test Folder 2
      • TC4 - Test Case 2

• 7.  Re: How do I not lose access to Test Cases when closing a Project?

Posted Sep 14, 2017 01:44 PM

It should look like your example, assuming TF3 and TF4 were already in Project 1. I suggest testing this in a sandbox workspace, and please remember that you use these apps at your own risk (read: they are not supported)