DX Unified Infrastructure Management

Expand all | Collapse all

No Data For Interface

• 1.  No Data For Interface

Posted Sep 12, 2017 08:58 AM

Hi All,

I have NFA 9.3.3 configured in a 3 tier structure.

All of a sudden data stops populating. Mostly on reboot of the harvester server gets fixed and sometimes not.

Are there any specific logs, on the Harvester or RA server which can be looked into, which we can look and identify the root cause.

• 2.  Re: No Data For Interface

Posted Sep 12, 2017 11:41 AM

Hi,

You should first have a look into the following page of the documentation which gives a few hints about data collection troubleshooting: Troubleshoot Data Collection - CA Network Flow Analysis - 9.3.6 - CA Technologies Documentation 

That is for v9.3.6 but works pretty much the same in 9.3.3.

• 3.  Re: No Data For Interface

Posted Sep 13, 2017 06:25 AM

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the link above. I had already validated that .nfa files and .rpr.cmp files are getting created on the harvester.

The tbn files are getting created but with 0 Kb size, which seems to be the issue.

But there are no troubleshooting steps mentioned for the same.

Can you help here ?

• 4.  Re: No Data For Interface

Posted Sep 13, 2017 08:57 AM

Are you sure the server is not running out of space? Do you have any tbn.bad files in the Reaper directories?   

• 5.  Re: No Data For Interface

Posted Sep 13, 2017 09:47 AM

yes Chris, tthe server is not running out of space. And I don't have any tbn.bad files.

I rebooted the server to fix the issue, and now I do get .tbn files getting created with size greater than 0 KB. But I couldn't make out the root cause.

• 6.  Re: No Data For Interface

Posted Sep 13, 2017 09:50 AM

Oh well glad it is solved now. Always frustrating not to get down to the root cause but nice it got back to something better eventually!

• 7.  Re: No Data For Interface

Posted Sep 13, 2017 09:56 AM

Chris is there anything else we can do from server reboot to fix the issue.

Because server reboot becomes a tough issue all the time

• 8.  Re: No Data For Interface

Posted Sep 13, 2017 10:06 AM

Sure. Did you just try to restart all services before rebooting?

• 9.  Re: No Data For Interface

Posted Sep 13, 2017 10:16 AM

No. I just rebooted the server.  I would probably test to restart the services the next time I fall into a similar issue.

• 10.  Re: No Data For Interface
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 13, 2017 11:15 AM

Guneet,

If I had to guess, your .TBN files were 0K because all of your routers were stuck in RebootRefresh status. This can happen if there is a problem with the Harvesters doing SNMP polls of your routers. See the following doc:

Why does my NFA stop displaying data for a router if it cannot be SNMP polled? 

Note: We do NOT recommend turning on IgnoreReboots, I'm just sending this doc to help explain what you are seeing.

As for why a rebooting fixed the problem, I suspect that the root cause of the problem was that the "CA NFA Collection and Poller Webservices" service was hung. Restarting these two service and then repolling your routers from the GUI would probably have had the same effect:

CA NFA Poller

CA NFA Collection and Poller Webservices

Check the following log file on the Harvester from the time period before the reboot:

CA\NFA\Netflow\Logs\collpollws-wrapper.log

• 11.  Re: No Data For Interface

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 13, 2017 10:09 AM

Have you looked at the Harvester-wrapper logs before you rebooted?

If harvester service is down, nothing processes.

You can also run the RemoteEngineer, which gathers all logs, and gathers database stats that would be helpful for support to resolve the issues. 

http://remoteengineer.ca.com