DX NetOps

Expand all | Collapse all

Tickets created after alarm being solved.

Esteban Aramendi

Esteban AramendiSep 13, 2017 08:50 AM

• 1.  Tickets created after alarm being solved.

Posted Sep 12, 2017 03:12 PM

Hi there,

So I would like to know if you could give me a hand with this

We have alarms that create ticket in ServiceDesk, but in a daily manner we got several tickets that for example, are not being solved when the alarm in Spectrum has been cleared.

For example this are the times (24hr format)

StartAlarm    AlarmClear    Tkt Creation
    01:09:48       01:09:49          01:09:53
    00:11:29       00:11:31          00:11:40
    00:09:27       00:09:29          00:09:39
    11:20:45       11:20:49          11:20:49

As far as I could check, I don't see any errors on logs related to this

Did you ever face an scenario similar like this?

Regards

• 2.  Re: Tickets created after alarm being solved.

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 12, 2017 04:26 PM
      |   view attached

It would probably be best to turn on the Service Desk Debug (OneClick Administration page -> Debugging -> Web Server Debug (Runtime) –> Service Desk -> On and then click apply at the bottom.

Wait for the issue to happen again, take note of the alarm information and open a case and provide the tomcat log file.

Cheers

Jay

• 3.  Re: Tickets created after alarm being solved.

Posted Sep 13, 2017 08:50 AM

Jason, thanks, I'll give it a try to that. Cheers

• 4.  Re: Tickets created after alarm being solved.

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 12, 2017 04:41 PM

What about using a SANM filter ( Configuring the AlarmNotifier Integration Component for CA Service Desk Manager - CA Spectrum - 10.2 and 10.2.1 - CA Tec…  ) with a 1 minute delay before opening tickets?  It looks like the set/clear all happens before the process completes for ticket creation.  I would think if that happens, there's no ticket ID associated with the alarm when it's cleared so no close/solved trigger happens. 

• 5.  Re: Tickets created after alarm being solved.

Posted Sep 13, 2017 08:49 AM

Robert, how are you?

You are indeed correct, if I go to events or Clear Alarms history in Spectrum in most of the cases, I do not have a ticket associated with that alarm.

But if I look the CI in ServiceDesk i can find the ticket related to that specific alarm.

I have a mix, for some CI's I use the regular spectrum sd alarm integration from the SpectrumAdmin Page, and for others CI's I use the SANM filter.

I had this issue in both cases.

• 6.  Re: Tickets created after alarm being solved.

Posted Sep 13, 2017 04:47 AM

Do you have any tickets closing at all? Are you sure it's not a problem in the integration when tickets have to be cleared?

• 7.  Re: Tickets created after alarm being solved.

Posted Sep 13, 2017 08:46 AM

Hi Christophe,

I have tickets that are being close properly, in fact, I have more tickets that are being close that those that aren't. I am not sure about the last, could give any hints?

• 8.  Re: Tickets created after alarm being solved.

Posted Sep 13, 2017 09:05 AM

Well, I think the best would be to review the integration logs. What kind of integration do you use? Is it any OOTB integration or a custom one?

• 9.  Re: Tickets created after alarm being solved.

Posted Sep 13, 2017 09:22 AM

Normal integration, the error is not shown in logs as far as I could check. I think that the issue is

1) that alarm is not matched correctly with the ticket and this causes that ticket does not resolves when the alarm clears

2) the ticket is created after(or same time) that when the alarm is cleared, therefore, it does has anymore an alarm ID to be resolved.

• 10.  Re: Tickets created after alarm being solved.

Posted Sep 13, 2017 09:38 AM

A thing which can happen is - considering the timestamps in your first message - the alarm triggers the creation of the ticket and is closed so quickly (triggering the closure of the ticket) that the ticket is not yet totally created in ServiceDesk, and you get the closure before it's opened.

To handle those cases where an alarm is closed in less than a minute, I recommend you change the SANM filter to add 1 minute in "Age Time”, so that alarms are hold back for a minute before creating a new ticket. If you have an alarm which resolves by itself in a couple of seconds, it won't pass the SANM filter and then won't create a ticket.

If that's not enough, maybe a "customized” process should be put in place between webservices to do some "garbage” collecting… ;)

• 11.  Re: Tickets created after alarm being solved.

Posted Sep 13, 2017 02:51 PM

The "Age Time" option in SANM isgreat but does not solve all the cases.
    One solution i used in a customer is use a database to store the events (SET, UPDATE and CLEAR) and process each one in order.
    This way the CLEAR is processed ever after the SET processing is completed (the ticket was created).
    If you have a large volume of alarms it is possible to paralelize thinks but you need to provide some control so the events related to one alarm are ever processed sequencially)

• 12.  Re: Tickets created after alarm being solved.

Posted Sep 13, 2017 03:59 PM

Yes it is a nice way to do it but this is a fully custom one (but valid for sure). I kind of like the age idea anyway because it automatically gets rid of "false" alarms (or autoresolved ones) but a combination of both method is probably interesting!