CA Service Management

Expand all | Collapse all

Maileater reads as attachments

• 1.  Maileater reads as attachments

Posted Sep 13, 2017 05:18 AM

Hi,

Servicenow is trying to create the tickets thru email, and CA was able to read the email but instead as a plain text its coming as attachment.

The same email works when sent from outlook.

Any clue.

Looks at the screenshot, for the issue.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Sharath

• 2.  Re: Maileater reads as attachments

Posted Sep 13, 2017 05:57 AM

Maybe ServiceNow does not send a plaintext version of the message and Outlook does. Ask your ServiceNow administrator to check this.

• 3.  Re: Maileater reads as attachments

Posted Sep 13, 2017 06:06 AM

No, they are sending it in a plain text.

We wonder it could be, but still unclear and engaged exchange team as well.

Service send the email thru SMTP, and it forward the email to IMAP and CA reads it from here.

During the forward rule somewhere its going wrong. And its the same cycle even if sent from outlook though which is working.

• 4.  Re: Maileater reads as attachments

Posted Sep 13, 2017 06:09 AM

Did you check the .eml file attached in SD to see how the email was actually sent ? Is is plain text ?

• 5.  Re: Maileater reads as attachments

Posted Sep 13, 2017 06:13 AM

The mail before downloaded on SMTP mailbox it will be forwarded to IMAP. So on SMTP its  a plain text since i configured my outlook to the mail box.

I cant see how its in IMAP.

The eml which CA tried to read, i dont think we will have a copy of it.

Regards,

Sharath

• 6.  Re: Maileater reads as attachments

Posted Sep 13, 2017 06:46 AM

If you enable the 'Attach entire mail' in the Mailbox definition in SDM, you'll see the exact email message that SDM reads via IMAP in the attachments on the created ticket. Do that and look in the .eml file that gets attached.

• 7.  Re: Maileater reads as attachments

Posted Sep 13, 2017 06:55 AM

My issue is the ticket was not getting created, since it came as attachment as shown in the logs, the mail eater was unable to read the body and eventually ticket wont create.

Or even if it comes as attachment as shown in my log does CA wil be able to read it. Im missing something\

/Sharath

• 8.  Re: Maileater reads as attachments

Posted Sep 13, 2017 07:23 AM

You need to open an support issue for this, since it looks like something is amiss here.

What version are SDM are you using ? I had a similar problem on 14.1 CP2 and it was fixed by the patches provided by CA Support.

• 9.  Re: Maileater reads as attachments

Posted Sep 13, 2017 07:29 AM

We are also in same R14.1 Cp2. Appreciate if you can give me the patch number i will raise the support can save some time.

thanks for your help.

/sharath

• 10.  Re: Maileater reads as attachments

Posted Sep 13, 2017 08:06 AM

In my case, the problem was solved by T6EE102 (UNRESPONSIVE PDM_TEXT_NXD), since the problem is actually in the Text API daemon.

• 11.  Re: Maileater reads as attachments

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 13, 2017 05:56 PM

Hey Sharath,

You could see the content-type of the mail that SDM read by enabling some logging on the maileater.

pdm_logstat -n pdm_maileater_nxd trace

<send your email>

Wait until you see the maileater shows that the mail was processed (stdlog)

stop traces: pdm_logstat -n pdm_maileater_nxd

My guess is that we're receiving it in UTF8/RichTXT somehow and that's why we're treating it as is.

_R

• 12.  Re: Maileater reads as attachments

Posted Sep 14, 2017 03:03 AM

Hi Raghu,

The content type is html, please see the logs below.

Subject: SNOW Incident: TKT0010024 - 6 MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="UTF-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit X-ServiceNow-Source: Notification-2abe481de98d434020d23ba63fd474be X-ServiceNow-SysEmail-Version: 2 Precedence: bulk Auto-Submitted: auto-generated X-ServiceNow-Generated: true X-Originating-IP: [10..xx..] X-ClientProxiedBy: CORPAPPLXXX.corp.saab.se (ipconfig) To  corpapplXXX.corp.saab.se (IPaddress) X-OrganizationHeadersPreserved: corpappl842.corp.saab.se X-Saab-MailScanner-Information: Please contact the ISP for more information X-Saab-MailScanner-ID: v8DEbSTI011475 X-Saab-MailScanner: Found to be clean X-Saab-MailScanner-SpamCheck: not spam (whitelisted).

Regards,

Sharath.M

• 13.  Re: Maileater reads as attachments

Posted Sep 14, 2017 03:07 AM

sharamateti You said in your previous posts that the mail is plain text, but now it's HTML ?  Please post the complete stdlog portion with the maileater and also a screenshot of the Rules you use in your mailbox processing.

• 14.  Re: Maileater reads as attachments

Posted Sep 14, 2017 03:14 AM

Hi Mitrana,

Sorry, the servicenow admin told me he is sending in plain text which i myself checked. But the logs when kept in trace mode could see the servicedesk is treating it has html as showed in the logs.

Regards,

Sharath.M

• 15.  Re: Maileater reads as attachments

Posted Sep 14, 2017 03:39 AM

'SD is treating it as HTML' because that's what's what the message itself says it is - as you clearly see in the logs.

What is the actual problem here, because it seems it's not the case I encountered myself - is the Incident created, but with a blank description, or the Incident is not created AT ALL ?

• 16.  Re: Maileater reads as attachments

Posted Sep 14, 2017 03:58 AM

mitu: The ticket was not able to create, and when I checked the Logs i felt its treating as attachment.

Body( %ATTACHMENT={{2FCC4620CCC8034AB6E5C9B101F10B0C_IMAP59B942CA1597304_001.eml}}Email_Wed_Sep_13_16_38_02_2017.eml %RELPATH={{rep_folder_00004}}rep_folder_00004 

So asked my servicenow admin oto check if the they sending in plain text or html. Answer was plain text.

So opened the thread here to see if i get help.

Now, when Raghu asked to check in trace could see the format of content type is  text/html.

Since i cant see the orginal email which CA trying to read, im unable to say its in plain text or html. Unsure if our maileater cant rea html.

Since CA logs shows its html, i have sent the information to servicenow and told to contact their vendor to check what they can make change.

Hope am clear. Thanks all for your support and time.

• 17.  Re: Maileater reads as attachments

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 15, 2017 05:19 PM

Hey Sharath,

See if you can setup a rule which can send a Copy of the email from this mailbox to another?  That way you'll be able to obtain a copy of the original mail that SDM received.

_R

• 18.  Re: Maileater reads as attachments

Posted Sep 14, 2017 03:31 AM

Hi,

Make sure you rule set between the SMTP and IMAP are using redirect vs. simple forward in order to keep all the original content and headers intact.

My 2 cents.

/J

• 19.  Re: Maileater reads as attachments
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 21, 2017 03:56 AM

Hi sharamateti,

the problem you are have described is caused by the format of the e-mail message sent from ServiceNow. Usually e-mail can be plain message, or multipart message that can contain text/plain or text/html part. It can contain both at the same time. Service Desk is not smart enough to read text/html part. So in case your e-mail contains only text/html part, it will create ticket without description and summary and message will be in attachment as you experienced. 

Make sure that other party is sending e-mail in format that Service Desk accepts.

In the source of the e-mail should be message text following the subject line, or if it is multipart message, then there should be Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8" part and not only Content-Type: text/html; charset="UTF-8" part.

For debugging purposes it is always useful to set server rule on exchange server, that stores copies of incoming messages in a folder. This way it is preserved for later investigation. Same can be done in gmail where you assign label upon message arrival. These messages can be then copied to inbox while you are debugging it.

To see more information about maileater processing you can increase level of maileater logging by running command:

pdm_logstat -n pdm_maileater_nxd 201

and when not needed, disable it by running

pdm_logstat -n pdm_maileater_nxd

It will give you more information on why e-mail was not processed. Sometimes it is that message doesn't match rule, sometimes it is missing mandatory field. The stdlog will tell you. It is also helpful to be able to read Service Desk responses, because they contain reason why ticket was not created. But by increasing log level you will get content of that message too.

Marek Vitek