Clarity

• 1.  Resetting User License Type

Posted Sep 13, 2017 02:20 PM

I was wondering if there is a Job that can be run or a manual process that can be performed to reset the License Type attributed to Resources.

I have set up a number of Resources with user privileges like those that you'd see associated with the Group 'PMO Executive Viewer'. From this, they would be consuming a View-Only license as seen on the Administration->License Information page.

If another user, for example with 'Portfolio - Create' or 'Portfolio - Edit' permissions, adds that View-Only user as a Portfolio Manager rather than a Portfolio Stakeholder, the View-Only user will inherit the capability to edit the Portfolio - a permission level associated with a Full license. This license level unfortunately comes at many times the cost compared to the View-Only license.

If the view-Only user's access to the Portfolio is changed from Manager to Stakeholder, or even if the Portfolio is deleted entirely, the View-Only user continues to consume a Full license.

Is there a way of resetting License Levels to the permissions actually assigned to users?

• 2.  Re: Resetting User License Type

Posted Sep 13, 2017 02:36 PM

I do not think there is any easy simple way.

One way might be to XOG read the users and strip the output of all data not needed and the write back that when you need it. That is not easy nor simple and if your needs change you would have to read out again.

• 3.  Re: Resetting User License Type

Posted Sep 18, 2017 01:29 PM

Okay, thanks Urmas.

This might be an approach I keep in my hip pocket until I have time to experiment further.

Thanks

• 4.  Re: Resetting User License Type

Posted Sep 15, 2017 12:39 AM

Are you sure the Resource isn't on a second portfolio, as I added a Resource as a Portfolio Manager to one Portfolio, which gave them Portfolio - Owner (AUTO) which is a FULL licence.  I removed them as a Portfolio Manager, the Portolio - Owner (AUTO) was automatically removed.

I then added them as Stakeholder on a Portfolio which automatically gave them Portfolio - Stakeholder (Auto) which is View-Only licence.

We are currently reviewing what access individuals have in PPM as well.

• 5.  Re: Resetting User License Type

Posted Sep 18, 2017 01:28 PM

Hi Roland,

I configured the Portfolio List display to include both the 'Managers' and the 'Stakeholders' fields, and the user's name does not appear anywhere in the displayed list. I am at a loss as to where this capability was created from.

As well, it is not a capability that can be removed as in the attached screen example for 'Resource - Time Entry'.

• 6.  Re: Resetting User License Type

Posted Sep 19, 2017 01:11 AM

The Resource - Enter Time is automatically created when a Resource is created - and at this time, there is no way to prevent this from happening.  If the Resource is not to submit timesheets, then see Avoid PPM to add "Resource - Enter Time" access right to new users

• 7.  Re: Resetting User License Type

Posted Sep 19, 2017 12:26 PM

Hi Roland,

Apologies if my example was a red herring, but I only included the screenshot to provide an example of a permission that might be seen, selected and possibly removed. The culprit permission in this case is the Portfolio - Edit permission.