DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  Modify MCS Templates

Posted Sep 15, 2017 08:43 AM

How do I modify an MCS template?  The current templates put a ridiculous 50 character limit on command line parameters in Run Command on Match in the logmon watcher configs.  logmon itself has no such restriction.

(It also puts this same limit on many other things, and I can see it was removed for three parameter between Setup ntevl template 2.18 and 2.19).

I want to modify Log_Monitoring-2.79.xml to remove this limit.  I tried that and changing the version number in the file and in the file name, but MCS treats that as a duplicate and throws it away.

• 2.  Re: Modify MCS Templates
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 15, 2017 10:39 AM

The Log Monitoring template is a complex template. Actually, it's a template containing nested templates (templates having parent templates, referred as subtemplates): Log Monitoring is a template, but Watcher Rules is also a template having Log Monitoring as parent, and so on. If you want to create a new version of it, you need to be very careful and change the version number of all template and subtemplates for none of them to be considered as duplicates. The MCS template upgrade procedure will fail if any of the child template is considered as a duplicate.

That being said, you can extend the limit. The interface of MCS is fully data-driven and the maximum size (validity) of a field is an attribute of it in the DB. If you want to change that thing live, you can update the value of the "length" attribute. From the top of my head, the following query should give you the current length limit of the :

select length from SSRV2Field where template = (select templateId from SSRV2Template where templateName = 'Log Monitoring' and production = 1) and name = 'Scanfile'

It should give you '50' if that's the limit you see right now. Can you give back the result of the query here?

You could update that value to match the maximum size of that field in the logmon probe.

I don't recall the way the template is designed, so maybe the 'validation' attribute is also guilty in that limitation.

I'm not recommending you do any database modification on your own if you don't feel comfortable with SQL and you should not try that on a production environment. You can contact CA Services if you need help on this. What I'm suggested is not supported as-is and if anything goes wrong, I could not be hold responsible.

Last but not least, you should open a case on the CA Support website for this, because having a maximum length not matching the limit of the probe is a bug.