CA Service Management

• 1.  How to configure SDM offline reporting?

Posted Sep 15, 2017 04:42 PM

I need support to configure CABI (BOXI) with CA SDM offline server. I'm rebuilding this structure due to settings probs, then the SDM prod and BOXI were already installed.

Environment description:
    1 SDM background
    1 SDM standby
    3 SDM application server
    1 SDM offline reporting
    1 BOXI server
    1 DB server
    I'm using Windows Server 2012 at all servers and database SQL Server 2014.
    SDM 14.1 cum2
    CABI 4.1 SP3

I'm creating the reporting structure according with the procedures that I found:
    - mdb offline was created by the mdb installation wizard
    - sdm offline was installed and configured to start at OFFLINE_REPORTING procset
    - the database replication type used is merge replication
    - just the SDM specifc tables was check to be published, since I have the Service catalog installed at the same mdb on production environment
    - the SDM configuration tables was not included in the publication, like as described on procedure

I have the following questions:
    - After install SDM offline, how can I integrate it to a earlier CABI installation?
    - What settings I need to do at SDM production servers to view the CABI documents at Report tab?
    - Why i need to install mdb by a media, if during the creation of the database snapshot the objects with same name will be droped and re-created?

• 2.  Re: How to configure SDM offline reporting?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 15, 2017 04:51 PM

Hello Albino,

Rather than using merge, I'd recommend using the updated supported transactional replication support that we have started using for a while now.  Merge was giving us grief in one way or the other, so, CA started supporting transactional instead.  

Offline Reporting through Microsoft SQL Server Database Replication - CA Service Management - 14.1 - CA Technologies Doc… 

To answer your questions specifically - 

1) You'd adjust CABI configuration (Universe to use a data source pointing to the SDM Offline server as opposed to the SDM Prod app servers) --> Review CA Service Management Deployment - CA Service Management - 14.1 - CA Technologies Documentation 

2) As SDM Reports tab is just pulling the CABI URL, there's usually no change made to the SDM Options Manager for this to work

3) Because there will be missing tables that are not part of the replication, and so SDM offline instance wont start properly.

Hope this helps

_R

• 3.  Re: How to configure SDM offline reporting?

Posted Sep 18, 2017 08:59 AM

Hi Raghu,

about the database replication, when SQL replication wizard is trying to drop an object with the same name it fails because the table contains a FK constraint.

• 4.  Re: How to configure SDM offline reporting?

Posted Sep 18, 2017 09:58 AM

Now i'm trying with transactional method according the referred documentation.

Any new question i'll post here.

Thanks!

• 5.  Re: How to configure SDM offline reporting?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 18, 2017 12:21 PM

Understood.  I think this will happen if the correct replication procedure is not followed.

With the transactional approach, most of this is automated too with the settings that have been tested.  Maybe that'll fare better for you.

_R

• 6.  Re: How to configure SDM offline reporting?

Posted Sep 18, 2017 03:21 PM

Review CA Service Management Deployment - CA Service Management - 14.1 - CA Technologies Documentation 

I'm configuring the SDM offline from a restored database and at the step 9 we have this instruction:

9 - Update the usp_servers table entry for local_host column. Run the following commands on the offline reporting data base server for the MDB
    update usp_servers
    set local_host='<Offline CA SDM Server Name>'
    where id=1001

But in my production environment does't there any register with this ID.

How should i proceed?

• 7.  Re: How to configure SDM offline reporting?

Posted Sep 19, 2017 10:23 AM

Hi Raghu,

I solved this problem deleting 4 registers from usp_servers and updating the last one localhost value to <Offline CA SDM Server Name>. Running the pdm_configure again the configuration process was completed.

Now, according to the note after step 13, i need to configure multi-tenancy as well as my PROD env, but SDM is running at OFFLINE_REPORTING procset and the UI is not available. If I start the SDM at MAIN_PROCSET it write data in offline database causing errors to the replication process.

So, how can I implement multi-tenancy to the SDM offline and apply cumulativies and fixies to match the environments?

• 8.  Re: How to configure SDM offline reporting?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 19, 2017 11:12 AM

You should be able to apply patches in the same order/manner that you have applied them on your original SDM env.

For the multi-tenancy,   that's a tricky one. I think we need to adjust our documentation to address that.  Here's one way I can think - 

I believe we can add:  TOMCAT  and an entry for WSP to the SDM_OFFLINE Procset

; -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [ procset OFFLINE_REPORTING ]
    ; -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DBADMIN
    sw_ver_ctl
    bpnotify_nxd
    confirm_db
    nx_user
    ; license_nxd
    kt_daemon
    rpc_srvr
    spel_srvr
    domsrvr
    bpvirtdb_srvr
    bopauth_nxd
    bop_login
    webengine

TOMCAT

;wsp_domsrvr and wsp_webengine run only on Background Server
    #ifdef NX_WSP_DOMSRVR
    wsp_domsrvr
    #endif

#ifdef NX_WSP_WEBENGINE
    wsp_webengine
    #endif

So it should look like above.

Restart SDM now.  You should have access to the Tomcat SDM UI.  You can tweak your options per need.

Hope this helps

_R

• 9.  Re: How to configure SDM offline reporting?

Posted Sep 20, 2017 11:15 PM

I've been working through similar issues in a multi-tenanted environment.  I changed pdm_startup to launch MAIN_PROCSET on the reporting SDM instance so I could re-publish the schema updates on the replicated database, then re-initialised replication from a fresh backup of the source MDB, reset pdm_startup to run OFFLINE_REPORTING and re-ran pdm_configure.  I saved the scripts generated by SQL Management Studio for creating the publication, and have scripted the subscription, so it's not so laborious to repeat.  Initialising from a backup rather than from a snapshot is helpful at this site because the MDB is rather large and snapshot seemed likely to take an unacceptably long time.  However, the SQL wizard doesn't fully implement initialising from a backup, so some additional SQL is needed.

• 10.  Re: How to configure SDM offline reporting?

Posted Sep 26, 2017 01:33 PM

Hello guys,

I am solving other CABI configuration issues and when this is completely resolved then I will resume configuring the offline reporting server.

Thank you all, it was very helpful!