Release Automation

• 1.  Not able to download log in 6.5

Posted Sep 19, 2017 05:35 AM

I have upgraded to 6.5 and now when i try to download the log file for a failed deployment, this is what i am getting.

The agent is installed on the execution server.

Agent is online

Agent is also at same version 6.5

Logging is enabled.

Best regards,

Amit Joshi

• 2.  Re: Not able to download log in 6.5
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 19, 2017 10:07 AM

Hi Amit,

If I'm not mistaken, and logging is properly enabled, the agent logs directory should have some sub-directories with its execution log data. The new features/settings for logging are discussed further in the production documentation. You can find it in the link below. Please let us know if it helps:

Debug Deployments - CA Release Automation - 6.5 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Kind regards,

Gregg

• 3.  Re: Not able to download log in 6.5

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 04, 2017 03:17 AM

Hi

Did the answers on this thread answered your question? If it did please mark it as the right answer.
    When your question is not answered or you still have additional questions please let us know.

With Kind Regards
    Dirk

• 4.  Re: Not able to download log in 6.5

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 09, 2017 03:59 AM

Hi 
    I believe your questions has been answered, I will mark this as the correct answer.
    When your question is not answered or you still have additional questions please let us know.
    With Kind Regards

Dirk

• 5.  Re: Not able to download log in 6.5

Posted Sep 14, 2018 02:54 PM

We are also experiencing this same issue.  There is nothing in the referenced documentation that helps.  

One thing I noticed - on agents where logging DOES work, the agent is running as a specific service account.  Where is DOES NOT work, the agent is running as LOCAL SYSTEM.  

We definitely do not want all out agents running with the service account creds.  Is there some permission that needs to be applied to the logs folder to allow the agent to create and place files into the applicationLogs folder?

• 6.  Re: Not able to download log in 6.5

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 14, 2018 03:39 PM

Hi Timothy,

Could you confirm that the agent's version is 6.4 or greater? If so, what is inside of your NolioAgent/conf/applicationLog.properties file? I don't think there is any requirement to have a service account being used. One test you might be able to run is, via an action, try to create an applicationLogs folder in the logs directory and some files. That should confirm if there is a permissions problem or not.

My 6.6 Agent's applicationLog.properties file looks like this:

#Note: If you change any of the following properties, restart the agent service to enable the new value/s to take effect..

# Defines the maximum permitted number of rollover files.
    max.backup.index=0

# Defines the maximum permitted size of rollover files. On reaching file size limit, a new rollover file is created if allowed by the max.backup.index setting.
    max.file.size=2500KB

# Defines the maximum permitted size of the entire applicationLogs folder.
    max.folder.size=50MB

# Defines the frequency of the recurring check of the max.folder.size property (in minutes).
    scheduler.fixed.period=2

# Defines the percentage of the volume of the max.folder.size to delete when max.folder.size limit reached.
    #
    # For example:
    # applicationLog current folder size: 105MB
    # max.folder.size=100MB
    # Lower.limit.folder.size.percentage=20

# After purging
    # applicationLog current folder size: 80MB
    lower.limit.folder.size.percentage=20

# Enables/disables applicative log.
    enable.applicative.log=true

Kind regards,

Gregg

• 7.  Re: Not able to download log in 6.5

Posted Sep 14, 2018 04:10 PM

All our agents are 6.5.  We upgraded from 6.3 a while ago.

A test action was able to create the applicationLogs folder on that agent, so you're right that it's not a permissions problem seemingly. 

And yes my applicationLog.properties file looks exactly like your example (which appears to be the default).

So now I am particularly perplexed...

• 8.  Re: Not able to download log in 6.5

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 18, 2018 09:37 AM

Hi Tim,

Sorry for the delay. I am at a bit of a loss. The only other thing I can think of is that a line in the applicationLog.properties file might not be formatted correctly for the operating system it is on - for example, linux systems needs LF (line feed) to separate lines on their systems while windows needs CR and LF. Since these are non-printable characters it is hard to tell by just viewing the file. You might need to look for the feature in your editor to show these things and confirm it is as you would expect. I think this type of scenario is rare, but the only other thing that I can think of is to check a system that works for any log entries they might expose (maybe while debugging is set to ALL (log4j.rootLogger=ALL, Console, Regular) during startup related to the applciationLogs feature and compare it to the system not working. Also, maybe using something like filemon might help to see if there are permission errors or something else that maybe we're not seeing. 

If none of that helps, or while in the process, I'd open a support issue. Sorry... I don't have a silver bullet for this one. 

Regards,

Gregg

• 9.  Re: Not able to download log in 6.5

Posted Sep 18, 2018 02:11 PM

I believe I found the problem, though I don't know why it's happening.

We use Puppet to manage our infrastructure, and part of that is the installation/upgrade of the CARA agent.  Whenever I use a node that was installed via the nolio_agent_wndows_6_5_0_b10007.exe installer (via Puppet), the logging fails.  However, if I upgrade that node via ASAP, then the logging works as expected.

Looking at the contents of the agent directory before and after the "upgrade", there are large differences:  the bin folder has a few additional files plus many files that are a different size.  Likewise with the lib folder - even though the file names may be identical (e.g. log4j-1.2.16.jar) the file sizes are different.  (drilling into them shows differences in the class files).  

What is interesting is that the version of nolio_agent_wndows_6_5_0_b10007.exe we are using from Puppet was copied from the RA server.  I am wondering what other activity goes on when I tell ASAP to upgrade a node?