Clarity

• 1.  Forecasting for other External Expenses?

Posted Sep 19, 2017 03:51 PM

We want to forecast for project expenses currently not booked in Clarity in the month we think they will need to be paid.  Has anyone else figured out a way to do this?  If we forecast for these expenses on the team page of a project, using hours and a trans class of $1.00 we could probably report on the cost but would dramatically overinflate the project hours.  Any ideas are welcomed.

• 2.  Re: Forecasting for other External Expenses?

Posted Sep 19, 2017 05:10 PM

There are four types of resources available in CA PPM:  Labor, Material, Equipment and Expense.  I'm going to assume that 'external expense' means "Expense" and not "Labor" since you use the word 'expense' and don't want to inflate hours.

Is my assumption correct?

If yes, then when you create these 'external expense' resources as "Expense", the numbers you enter for them will be considered Units and not Hours - you won't be inflating the hours needed by the project.  If you needed 5000 hours of Labor, you'll still need 5000 hours - after adding your Expense, you'll need 5000 hours of Labor and 'x' Units of Expense.

• 3.  Re: Forecasting for other External Expenses?

Posted Sep 20, 2017 10:45 AM

Hi Dale, thank you for the suggestion.  You are correct in the assumption that this would be for expense not labor.  I assumed units equaled the same as hours but will try your suggestion and see what I get.  Thank you

• 4.  Re: Forecasting for other External Expenses?

Posted Sep 20, 2017 11:54 AM

I just created an External Expense resource with a trans class of $1.  How / where do I forecast for that expense?  When I try to enter it on the team tab the amount I entered doesn't save.  I have the resource type filter set to "all".  Is there somewhere else to forecast for expenses?

• 5.  Re: Forecasting for other External Expenses?

Posted Sep 20, 2017 03:04 PM

We ran into the same problem - the 'Allocation' column on the Team tab seems to display Units rather than Hours.

Can you ignore the Team tab (not forecast your Expense resource there) and manually add it later into your Cost Plan?