Rally Software

• 1.  Looking for assistance to create a Rally report that will show User Stories and associated Test Cases - Thanks!

Posted Sep 19, 2017 02:20 PM

We'll be transitioning from one Rally platform to another, when this happens our stories and test cases/defects will no longer be linked.  I'm looking for assistance to create a Report that can be run, before this happens, that will show me my User Stories and their associated Test Cases and Defects.  

A report of this nature will allow me to re-link the Test Cases to the User Stories after this transition.

Thanks for your assistance!

Carol

• 2.  Re: Looking for assistance to create a Rally report that will show User Stories and associated Test Cases - Thanks!
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 19, 2017 04:16 PM

Hi Caswell, so here's what I did really quick;  I put a custom list on my dashboard, selected Defect as the type and for the query I put,   ( Requirement != "null" ).  This gave me all of the defects that are associated to a user story.  Then I removed all of the columns that I didn't want to see from the custom list and did an Export, which dumped it out to export.csv.  That gave me an Excel spreadsheet of all of my defects with their user story.  Does that help?

• 3.  Re: Looking for assistance to create a Rally report that will show User Stories and associated Test Cases - Thanks!

Posted Sep 19, 2017 07:12 PM

HI Chris,

Thanks for the information, I’ll give it a try for associated defects – maybe there’s and option there for associated Test Cases as well.

Carol

• 4.  Re: Looking for assistance to create a Rally report that will show User Stories and associated Test Cases - Thanks!

Posted Sep 20, 2017 11:49 AM

Thanks this works great for defects, but only goes back about 1 year.  I’d like to be able to obtain information for at least 4-4.5 yrs. I tried the same using ‘Test Case’ as the option in lieu of ‘Defect’ but it didn’t work.  Thanks Again!

• 5.  Re: Looking for assistance to create a Rally report that will show User Stories and associated Test Cases - Thanks!

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 20, 2017 06:22 PM

I did this in our production environment and got defects as old 2013.  Those seem to be the oldest ones in open projects.  Are your older defects in Open or Closed projects?  Do you see these 4+ yrs old defects in Quality > Defects?

• 6.  Re: Looking for assistance to create a Rally report that will show User Stories and associated Test Cases - Thanks!

Posted Sep 20, 2017 06:47 PM

Thanks… when I go to Quality > All Defects.. list provides information back to 03-30-2012 showing 165 defects. Dashboard report is  pulling 76 of these defects.  The 165 defects includes open & closed projects. Thanks for the help on obtaining the list for defects to user stories. I’d really like to be able to pull a good list of the User Stories associated Test Cases that go back several years. Appreciate the feedback and assistance!

Thanks!  Carol

• 7.  Re: Looking for assistance to create a Rally report that will show User Stories and associated Test Cases - Thanks!

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 21, 2017 08:32 AM

Hi Caswell,

In addition to Edwin's suggestion it may help if you use a Custom List and select Test Case for the Type, after that add the Work Product column. This should display a list of your Test Cases with the Work Product column displaying the Defect or User Story that the case is associated to. You can then use the Advanced Filter to filter out the test cases that are not associated to items so only cases that belong to defect or stories are displayed, or you can leave it as is. When you have the columns you want you can do the export as before. 

After reviewing Edwin's suggestion and your results it sounds like the query (Requirement != "null") is filtering some of the defects out because only the defects that have requirements are going to be displayed, which means that if the defect is not associated to a story it will not be displayed. If you remove the query do you get the full list of defects? 

I hope that this information helps. Please let us know your questions. 

• 8.  Re: Looking for assistance to create a Rally report that will show User Stories and associated Test Cases - Thanks!

Posted Oct 12, 2017 12:34 PM

Thank you!  

The suggested changes allow me to export a list of test cases and the associated stories. Appreciate all the feedback and assistance from everyone!  Now if someone from CA Rally can come up with a script that can be run between systems to re-connect the test cases to the stories once this transition has taken place that would be even better!! 

Thanks Again everyone!  Carol