Top Secret

• 1.  Other ways to initiate TSS Backups?

Posted Sep 20, 2017 11:09 AM

Besides the BACKUP control option, which only allows an initiation of a TSS backup at specific time, we want to be able to automate F TSS,BACKUP at specific times throughout the day.

What ways do people use to initiate the TSS backups?

• 2.  Re: Other ways to initiate TSS Backups?

Posted Sep 20, 2017 02:48 PM

I have been experimenting with a batch job executing PGM=SDSF and the following ISFIN:

SET CONSOLE BATCH

/F TSS,BACKUP

PRINT FILE CMDOUT

ULOG

PRINT

PRINT CLOSE

END

The job appears to submit fine and the SYSLOG shows the command was entered, but I'm not seeing the TSS "BACKUP COMMENCING" Messages. 

• 3.  Re: Other ways to initiate TSS Backups?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 21, 2017 09:05 AM

Good morning Mark,

The automatic backup and issuing TSS MODIFY BACKUP are the two ways we document to take a Backup.  Of course I am sure that you can find other ways through other automated applications or possibly an exit with user written code.  I have changed you question to a discussion in order to allow for open comments from other clients without having to mark an answer correct, as there may be several good ideas that can be looked at to see what best works for you.

Have a great day!!

~Eileen~

• 4.  Re: Other ways to initiate TSS Backups?

Posted Sep 21, 2017 05:18 PM

Hello biallas, (Mark?)

Just from the top of my head ...

- I believe, that the "... commenced... " message is NOT a respond to the BACKUP command, and therefore does not appear in the SDSF output. You might have to check the LOG.

- If you are running more than one z/os system, which share the same SECFILE, and you want more than one BACKUP per day, you might set different BACKUP times for each z/os system. Ensure that the backups do not overlap!

- consider to backup RECFILE more frequently, several times per day, or even create the recovery commands several times per day depending from your backup time.

- consider to copy the backups to a different device type apart from / additional to dasd, for example to tape/vts.

best regards,

Josef

• 5.  Re: Other ways to initiate TSS Backups?

Posted Sep 22, 2017 12:05 PM

Thank you Josef,

Yes, we are running one z/os system, which share the same SECFILE, thus the reason I want to run more than one BACKUP per day. My thought was to run a scheduled batch job that issues the F TSS,BACKUP. 

• 6.  Re: Other ways to initiate TSS Backups?

Posted Sep 29, 2017 04:42 PM

Depending upon how your JESPARMs are set up for the internal reader, you may be able to submit a job with // F TSS,BACKUP instream (ex. IEBGENER w/SYSUT2 DD SYSOUT=(A,INTRDR) ).

We have a program (originally from the CBT Tape, I believe) that issues operator commands and collects the response.  In this case the response would, most likely, be "OK".

- Don