CA Service Management

• 1.  Data Partitions Departaments

Posted Sep 21, 2017 07:58 AM

Good morning, I have a problem with how to restrict the visibility of the request areas from the user department logged in the data partitions

Thanks

• 2.  Re: Data Partitions Departaments

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 21, 2017 10:24 AM

Ian, can you  elaborate? for example, give some example? Thanks _Chi

• 3.  Re: Data Partitions Departaments

Posted Sep 21, 2017 12:24 PM

Area: Access Database
    Department: IT
    Only users with the IT department can create calls to the area Access Database

Thanks

• 4.  Re: Data Partitions Departaments

Posted Sep 22, 2017 08:03 AM

Department is not an attribute on the Request Area (pcat) object. How will you map Request Areas to Departments?

• 5.  Re: Data Partitions Departaments

Posted Sep 22, 2017 08:28 AM

I want to make a restriction for the creation of a call, if the area selected is "X" and the user's login is "Y" does not allow the creation of the call.

The department I would get the information from the logged in user.

• 6.  Re: Data Partitions Departaments

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 22, 2017 10:17 AM

Ian, I don't think you can use data partition as there is no if...then...else... for data partition. What you could do is put those IT Department contacts in a role and then create a custom form group for this role...for this form group, there is no limitation so these users can create a ticket with Access Database area; and for the rest, you could customize the detail_xx.htmpl page to add a where statement for the area field so that the user will not be able to select Access Database area. Hope this helps. Thanks _Chi

• 7.  Re: Data Partitions Departaments
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 22, 2017 10:37 AM

Unfortunately, Data Partitions do not work like that. (Also, do you want the user to be able to see a Request Area, fill out the Request, and then be told when they are trying to save that they cannot use that Request Area? Wouldn't it be better if they could not see the Request Areas you don't want them to use?)

Here is how Data Partitions work:

• Data Partitions are attached to one or more Roles.
    • If a Role has access to a table (defined by Functional Access) and there are no Data Partitions defined in the Role for that table, then all rows in the table are available to that Role.
    • If a Role has access to a table and there are Data Partitions defined in the Role for that table, then only a subset of rows in the table are available to that Role.
    • The Data Partition defines the subset of rows based on the value(s) in one or more attributes in the table compared to fixed value(s) (literals) or an attribute directly related to the user's contact record.

Here is my recommended approach:

• Define a new Role (you can copy an existing Role) for the users of that particular department.
    • In all the other Roles set a Data Partition for the Problem Category (pcat) table that allows view access to any Request Area except the ones you don't want them to use.

Cheers,

Lindsay