AutoSys Workload Automation

Expand all | Collapse all

Work Load Automation AE

• 1.  Work Load Automation AE

Posted Sep 22, 2017 06:30 AM

Work Load Automation AE (11.3.6 SP5) 

we are in the process of installing Work load control center and AE (Scheduler and Application server)

My query is as follows:

while installing WCC it prompts for the reporting database and WCC database.

so, reporting database is an internal database which can stores the data of WCC like views etc.

External database

We have external database (SQL) already, if I am not wrong this will the same for WCC database and also scheduler or application server  intracts.

My question is:

What is the user name that we can create for accessing SQL database from WCC ( can it be “sa” (root)) so it has all the access on the database?

This user which created for WCC is also the same when installing (scheduler and app server) when it prompts for DB Admin information, right?

What are the other 2 users (autosys, aedbadmin) created during installation of AE, how it different from “sa” (which has all the access on the database)?

Can someone help me on this. Thanks.

• 2.  Re: Work Load Automation AE

Posted Sep 22, 2017 09:31 AM

Go to SP6 CUM1

Steve C.

Nothing in this message is intended to constitute an electronic signature unless a specific statement to the contrary is included in this message.

Confidentiality Note: This message is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed. It may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, transmission, dissemination or other use, or taking of any action in reliance upon this message by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you received this message in error, please contact the sender and delete it from your computer.

• 3.  Re: Work Load Automation AE

Posted Sep 22, 2017 09:53 AM

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply. Can you please share me the link. Thanks.

• 4.  Re: Work Load Automation AE

Posted Sep 22, 2017 10:10 AM

A hyper went out and you can go to the download portion of the CA login .

You will need to download SP6 then you need to go to product solutions tab and download the SP6 Cumulative1

For your platform

Good luck

Steve C.

Nothing in this message is intended to constitute an electronic signature unless a specific statement to the contrary is included in this message.

Confidentiality Note: This message is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed. It may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, transmission, dissemination or other use, or taking of any action in reliance upon this message by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you received this message in error, please contact the sender and delete it from your computer.

• 5.  Re: Work Load Automation AE

Posted Sep 22, 2017 10:40 AM

Hi Steve

I read through "SP6 Cumulative1", that talks about more of issues araising out post installation.

My Question was more of during installation of WCC and AE ( Scheduler/Application Server)

What is the user name that we can create for accessing SQL database from WCC ( can it be “sa” (root)) so it has all the access on the database?

This user which created for WCC is also the same when installing (scheduler and app server) when it prompts for DB Admin information, right?

What are the other 2 users (autosys, aedbadmin) created during installation of AE, how it different from “sa” (which has all the access on the database)?

Regards

Loki

• 6.  Re: Work Load Automation AE

Posted Sep 24, 2017 03:28 AM

Chandru>> The user name can be anything of your choice; wcc, wccdbo, wccadmin, etc. While it is possible to use the sa user, I doubt your DBA would accept that. Please refer to the following KB on setting up WCC and WCC Reports databases on MS SQL Server.

How to move from Derby to MS-SQL database for CA Workload Control Center (CA WCC) 

While the KB mainly talks about migrating from the default Derby database to MS SQL Server, the steps on DB creation would be similar.

Chandru>> WAAE installer needs a MS SQL user with database administrator role; SA user is the default admin. In case of MS SQL Server and Sybase, AE installer creates the autosys user and login.

Chandru>> autosys DB user is what AE by default uses for database operations. aedbadmin is applicable only in case of Oracle DB and this is used for maintenance. Sybase and MS SQL Server databases don't use aedbadmin user.

Cheers,

Chandru

• 7.  Re: Work Load Automation AE

Posted Sep 26, 2017 04:30 AM

Hi Chandru,

Thank you very much for your kind response.

Few queries ( both the users wcc and sched/app servers accessing SQL DB need not be same?)

Eg:

I will name it "wccadmin" for WCC installation

I will got with default installation name "sa" for scheduler and app server installation.

In the above case both the users "wccadmin" and "sa" need to be created by DB admin first and assign the required privileges and then they need to pass on the password which is requited to login to DB. right?

I will use the same password during the installation.

Appreciate your response on this. 

Thanks a lot.

Regards

Loki

• 8.  Re: Work Load Automation AE

Posted Sep 26, 2017 05:09 AM

Your understanding is correct; DBA needs to create wccadmin user along with the WCC and WCC report databases first and provide you with the password to enter during install.

SA is the default DB admin user on MS SQL server, so you just need the password. Don't be surprised if DBA refuses to share SA password. You can ask for an equivalent (DB admin role) user just for installation purposes.

Thanks & Regards,

Chandru

CA Technologies

• 9.  Re: Work Load Automation AE

Posted Sep 27, 2017 04:10 AM

Thanks a lot Chandru.

Please let me know if my below understanding is correct.

1. Create a WCCDB  I get the below options for DB type:

• Oracle
    • Oracle TNS
    • Microsoft SQL
    • Internal (derby)

I select Microsoft SQL and fill in the details there like hostname, DB name, port, user password.

2. For reporting Database I simply give WCCDB ( this means to use same parameters as I specified for the above WCC DB(SQL) correct?) and I need not create an other logical DB for reporting Database alone?

3. Do I need to use another DB while Scheduler and App server installation, As per my understanding DB just stores all the autosys objects and I can go out and fetch those information using WCC or commandline, hence I need not create a new DB, I can use the WCC DB istelf, right?

• 10.  Re: Work Load Automation AE
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 27, 2017 04:36 AM

WCC and AEDB can't be the same.

The recommendation is to have separate databases for WCC and WCC report db. Please refer to the KB suggested earlier on.

Thanks & Regards,

Chandru

CA Technologies

• 11.  Re: Work Load Automation AE

Posted Sep 27, 2017 07:53 PM

Loki,

If your questions have been answered, please mark the response that answered your query as correct, so other community members would benefit.

Thanks,

Chandru

• 12.  Re: Work Load Automation AE

Posted Sep 29, 2017 06:40 AM

thanks a lot for you time and appreciate your help!

• 13.  Re: Work Load Automation AE

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 26, 2017 05:02 AM

Hi Loki,

Both the users wcc and sched/app servers accessing SQL DB need not be same?

It is better to have a separate databases created for WCC as mentioned in the Technical document mentioned by Chandru. The users are available at the database level so it will not be the same user.

In the above case both the users "wccadmin" and "sa" need to be created by DB admin first and assign the required privileges and then they need to pass on the password which is requited to login to DB. right?

The "wccadmin" as in your case needs to be created by the DB admin and the user needs to be given ownership of the databases. The sa user is a default admin user available with the database.

Regards

Darryl