IT Process Automation

Expand all | Collapse all

Directory Service Max Number of Search Results

• 1.  Directory Service Max Number of Search Results

Posted Sep 25, 2017 01:09 PM

Is there a way to configure the Directory Services connector in PAM to retrieve more than 1000 results?

• 2.  Re: Directory Service Max Number of Search Results
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 25, 2017 04:11 PM

Hi Lindsay, 

So the default Directory Services wont help you, as you could imagine and you probably saw this:

I don't know what kind of operation you are trying to do, but you could easily create your own connector using ldap sdk and process automation eclipse plugin.

I did something like that to sync ldap users with service catalog database, using pam. I'll post what I had to do in the near future, as it is not finished as I wish

• 3.  Re: Directory Service Max Number of Search Results

Posted Sep 27, 2017 10:47 PM

Hello Marcel,

Thanks for the response. I am trying to do the same, synchronizing Active Directory users with Service Desk contacts. The issue I'm facing that for some of the OUs, there are more than 1000 users. I would be very interested to see what you have done in making your own connector.

Cheers,

Lindsay

• 4.  Re: Directory Service Max Number of Search Results

Posted Sep 28, 2017 08:06 AM

Hi Lindsay,

try to import the user from Ldap to SDM with pdm_ldap_import this is a specific SDM command.

The doc show how to mapping LDAP attributes to SDM

How to integrate CA SDM with LDAP - CA Service Management - 14.1 - CA Technologies Documentation  

The doc has examples to use the command.

Create Contacts in Batch Mode Using LDAP Data - CA Service Management - 14.1 - CA Technologies Documentation  

• 5.  Re: Directory Service Max Number of Search Results

Posted Sep 28, 2017 09:30 AM

Thanks.

I am very familiar with the pdm_ldap_import and pdm_ldap_sync utilities in Service Desk but the requirements for this synchronization are beyond what they can provide.

Cheers,

Lindsay

• 6.  Re: Directory Service Max Number of Search Results

Posted Oct 17, 2017 11:12 AM

What i did is retrieve users by OU, by SN.

for each OU :

ldap call : (sn=A*)

ldap call : (sn=B*)

And you can add this ldap filter as an input variable. This way, when a users is modified in your directory, you can call your pam process to update a single user.

So once the complete sync is done, it will run several times trough the day for every modification in your directory.

This is what we did here.

• 7.  Re: Directory Service Max Number of Search Results

Posted Oct 19, 2017 12:19 AM

Hi Lindsay, 

I had this same issue and ended up using powershell script operators which query ad and the sdm database, generating a Csv output from each source and them running a comparison to see the differences. From there I loop through the missing users to add them one by one to sdm. This ensures that we don't have duplicate users in sdm (we have a lot of username changes). This process runs once daily and keeps everything in order.. 

Let me know if this solution would work for you.. If so I can look into sharing it. 

• 8.  Re: Directory Service Max Number of Search Results

Posted Oct 19, 2017 09:56 PM

Thanks Grant. Please share.

• 9.  Re: Directory Service Max Number of Search Results

Posted Oct 20, 2017 10:56 AM

Hi Lindsay, 

I need some time to build a new version without hard coded values. I'll likely be able to share it next week.

In the environment that you're working in is there a unique value in AD that can be used to see if a user has changed their name? For instance, we use the employeeID attribute as that is set when a user is onboarded and never changes. My process checks the employeeID of all users who are not in service desk to determine whether to add or update a contact in sdm. 

• 10.  Re: Directory Service Max Number of Search Results

Posted Feb 21, 2018 07:22 AM

Hi, I need to do the samw thing.

If you can share I will apreciate it.

• 11.  Re: Directory Service Max Number of Search Results

Posted Feb 21, 2018 11:26 AM

I just created a loop to walk through the alphabet and retrieved ones with last name beginning with "a", then "b", etc.

• 12.  Re: Directory Service Max Number of Search Results

Posted Feb 21, 2018 12:16 PM

But someone has the pam code to share?