CA Service Management

Expand all | Collapse all

CA Service Management Configuration Error

• 1.  CA Service Management Configuration Error

Posted Sep 26, 2017 02:14 PM

Hi guys!

Im installing a new environment with CAEEM and CA SDM pointing to a remote SQL Server, but for some reason the installation stop after "Installing CA Service Desk Manager Database Schema remotely" step.

I ran the installation of mdb (CASM install media \ products \ sdm \ setup.exe) on the DB server before running the Service Management installer on the application server and I'm using the SQL Server ServiceDesk user, which has sysadmin privilegies.

I'm using a named instance and I see no connection problems with the database server through port 56625.

The install file at C:\Users\albinosv\AppData\Local\Temp\casm show this error messages:

2017/09/26 13.53.14.840 ERROR [DeployThread: Installing CA Service Desk Manager Database Schema remotely] [DatabasePersister] SQLException: Invalid object name 'al_cdb_componentinstallstate'.

2017/09/26 13.53.15.949 ERROR [DeployThread: Installing CA Service Desk Manager Database Schema remotely] [SetupMDB] Setup MDB returns code 801
    2017/09/26 13.53.15.968 ERROR [DeployThread: Installing CA Service Desk Manager Database Schema remotely] [SetupMDB] MDB RC : 801
    2017/09/26 13.53.15.968 ERROR [DeployThread: Installing CA Service Desk Manager Database Schema remotely] [SetupMDB] MDB Error: Unexpected error. Check logs at D:\CA\SDM\temp\mdb_sql.
    2017/09/26 13.53.15.968 ERROR [DeployThread: Installing CA Service Desk Manager Database Schema remotely] [SetupMDB] Check mdb logs at D:\CA\SDM\temp\mdb_sql.
    2017/09/26 13.53.15.968 ERROR [DeployThread: Installing CA Service Desk Manager Database Schema remotely] [InstallSDMRemoteMDB] SetupMDB returns code 801

2017/09/26 14.03.57.942 ERROR [DeployThread: Configuring CA Service Desk Manager] [ConfigureSDM] SDM configuration failed with message : 09/26 13:54:39.829 WARN  ConfigThread.java      582 Configuration task (Configure MS SQL Server) is failed in step : 11

The install_mdb_msg file D:\CA\SDM\temp\mdb_sql shows only this:

09-26,13:54:39 Unable to determine the Common Component Directory for the MDB.  

Can anyone help?

Attachment(s)

zip
    configure.log.zip   5 KB 1 version
    zip
    install.log.zip   18 KB 1 version
    zip
    install_mdb_msg.log.zip   229 B 1 version

• 2.  Re: CA Service Management Configuration Error

Posted Sep 26, 2017 02:20 PM

In addition to this

I have already tried to install Service Desk without first creating mdb on the remote server or generating it manually, but the installation fails with other error messages.

• 3.  Re: CA Service Management Configuration Error

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 26, 2017 02:31 PM

Albino,

There should be another file called %TEMP%\casm\install_mdb.log      (or the parent directory of   %temp%\casm   has  another casm folder with that file)

Can you provide that file?

I think the issue is with the database instance / firewall of some sort that's preventing us to create the Common schema. 

_R

• 4.  Re: CA Service Management Configuration Error

Posted Sep 26, 2017 02:51 PM

Hi Raghu,

On the application server, in the TEMP folder there is no file other than install.txt.

In the TEMP folder on the database server, I found the files I'm attaching now.

• 5.  Re: CA Service Management Configuration Error

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 26, 2017 03:14 PM

Thank you.

Unfortunately the architecture is a bit confusing to me, apologies in advance.  Since 14.x release, SM installer is able to setup the database remotely, install common tables remotely as well as install SDM database remotely.  So normally we don't need to run the SDM database installer on the db server (like we used to in 12.x releases).

My best guess at this time is that, the database that was created from the DB server itself,  is not lettting you add enough data from the SDM server.  The logs are not very clear on this yet, but that's the best thing that I can think of at this time.

My recommendation is to raise support case for this for our team to look into remotely.  

One option you can try is, to delete the mdb database that was created,  delete the mdbadmin account   and then try to get the SM installer (from SDM node) create it for you.

_R

• 6.  Re: CA Service Management Configuration Error

Posted Sep 26, 2017 04:26 PM
      |   view attached

Ok Raghu,

I raised a case on the support site.

I also tried to run according to your suggestion.
    1-Uninstalled SDM
    2-Removed the mdb from the db instance
    3-Removed user mdbadmin
    4-Tried a new installation

Installation failed with this message:

In the "%temp%\casm\install" file we can check for multiple database connection failure messages.

However, both servers are in the same VLAN 172.16.3 ..., this traffic does not pass through a firewall according to my infrastructure team.

I can validate this communication through an udl file that I created.

Attachment(s)

zip
    install.log.zip   12 KB 1 version

• 7.  Re: CA Service Management Configuration Error

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 26, 2017 04:42 PM

I think we're on the right track.  Thank you for confirming about firewall.

There's either some left over entry of previous mdb  or some additional missing permission that's causing the creation of MDB / mdbadmin to fail now

_R

• 8.  Re: CA Service Management Configuration Error

Posted Sep 27, 2017 09:52 AM

Hi Raghu,

I've started a trace log at SQL Server to investigate this issue and got this errors:

The installation wizard try to log on mdb database before it is created.

It is expected?

• 9.  Re: CA Service Management Configuration Error

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 27, 2017 02:41 PM

I believe its part of our logic where we try to check if mdb  exists and try to login/query for mdbadmin user too

_R

• 10.  Re: CA Service Management Configuration Error
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 29, 2017 07:01 AM

Hi Raghu,

I found an unexpected behavior of the virtual machine, it was consuming too much memory without any process presenting this high consumption. My co-worker created a nnew VM from another template and after that the installation worked perfectly.

How can I end this topic?

Thanks for helping!

• 11.  Re: CA Service Management Configuration Error

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 29, 2017 09:44 AM

Albino.........

Thanks for the update - that is good news.

Please mark one of the answers/comments as correct (either yours or someone else's) and this topic/thread will get closed.

• 12.  Re: CA Service Management Configuration Error

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 29, 2017 10:19 AM

Thank you for the update Albino.  I have marked your suggestion as correct for now)

_R