DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  Active directory Monitoring

Posted Sep 27, 2017 06:54 AM

Hello,

I am new to UIM management . I need expert advice on  monitoring Active directory servers using UIM 8.47. I would like to know the threshold values and options in UIM to monitor AD like replication , DC health checkup, CPU utilization check  , Sysvol, ntds.dt file healthcheck up etc.

Can anyone help me on setting up monitoring AD using UIM ?

• 2.  Re: Active directory Monitoring

Posted Sep 27, 2017 08:22 AM

Hello!

All probes related to AD that we have are:

For Active Directory:

ad_response:

ad_response (Active Directory Response Monitoring) Release Notes - CA Unified Infrastructure Management Probes - CA Tech… 

Supported Metrics:

ad_response Metrics - CA Unified Infrastructure Management Probes - CA Technologies Documentation 

The probe monitors and reports the connect response time of AD server, the status and count of the objects found, and the replication of modified objects between servers, sites, and domains.

ad_server
    ad_server (Active Directory Server Monitoring) - CA Unified Infrastructure Management Probes - CA Technologies Documenta… 

Supported Metrics:
    ad_server Metrics - CA Unified Infrastructure Management Probes - CA Technologies Documentation 
    The probe is configured to monitor health and performance of the Active Directory (AD) server by configuring the threshold parameters for counters. This probe is delivered with a default configuration of monitoring counters.

For DNS
    dns_response
    dns_response (DNS Response Monitoring) Release Notes - CA Unified Infrastructure Management Probes - CA Technologies Doc… 

Supported metrics:

dns_response Metrics - CA Unified Infrastructure Management Probes - CA Technologies Documentation 

The Monitor DNS Response Time probe queries your Domain Name Server (DNS) and monitors the response time from the server. The probe can also query the DNS looking for A records (normal hostnames), MX records (mail servers), and NS records (name servers).

• 3.  Re: Active directory Monitoring

Posted Sep 27, 2017 09:09 AM

Thanks Alex for giving me all the information. I have deployed all these probes , but i am looking for threshold values to be set on adserver probes for monitoring replication etc. Please let em know if you know any best practices available for these monitoring probes .

• 4.  Re: Active directory Monitoring

Posted Sep 27, 2017 10:32 AM

Maybe someone else can input more info for you about the best practice and more info related to threshold.

JAllen11 and Gene_Howard, perhaps you can help with more info.

• 5.  Re: Active directory Monitoring

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 27, 2017 10:38 AM

I am not aware of any published best practices for this sort of monitoring. Generally speaking, thresholds are an individual/personal choice depending on the needs of the user and/or the business.  For example - some users might consider 50% CPU consumption to be "high" on a server and require an alarm for that, while other users may not be concerned until the CPU reaches 80%.  

Generally speaking, a good practice if you are not sure what thresholds to use is to establish a sort of baseline - let the  probe gather QoS for a week or so and take a look at the average response times, and then you can base your thresholds on this (for example, if the normal response time appears to be 10ms, and varies up to 15ms sometimes, you might consider alarming at 20ms.)

Perhaps some experienced AD Administrators can comment about what thresholds they are using but we do not really have any detail like this in Support.

• 6.  Re: Active directory Monitoring

Posted Sep 27, 2017 10:47 AM

Thanks Jason. 

• 7.  Re: Active directory Monitoring

Posted Sep 27, 2017 11:40 AM

Anyone know what is unit used for storage in ad_server probe for File category - DSA file - Total size is showing 500000000 . . Is it using Kilobyte ?

• 8.  Re: Active directory Monitoring

Posted Sep 29, 2017 08:21 AM

B.Nikhil

This is something we posted a while back but it may help you get started. As Jason points out the best way is to collect data and decide what to set based on your comfort level and the demands of the environment. That said it doesn't hurt to get a starting point which is what this was intended to do. It includes a zip file with our configuration and dashboards. I hope this helps.

CA on CA Tech Tip - Active Directory Monitoring 

The directory database file sizes based on my data are in bytes.