Test Data Manager

• 1.  Points to be considered when we change the DataBase for TDM.

Posted Sep 28, 2017 03:32 AM

Hi Team,

We are using the TDM with SQL Server Database. TDM tool is installed in one server and Database is installed in different server.
    Now due to some issue, we are getting new DATABASE server with Pre-installed SQL Server.

For this, I have to move old databases to new server and TDM point to new Database server.

Points I am considering for this:

1. Take all databases backup from old Server including gtrep.
    2. Restore all the databases to new server
    3. If i restore gtrep, No need to create new repository in new server. Please Correct me if i am wrong.
    4. Take backup of all users and create in new Database.
    5. If SQL Server is not installed in Mixed Authentication mode, if I create "sa" account explicitly from SQL Server, will it be fine. Please suggest on this.

Please help me if i have missed out anything here.

• 2.  Re: Points to be considered when we change the DataBase for TDM.
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 28, 2017 08:21 AM

I think you should be fine, doing everything you described, to migrate your GTREP.

3. If i restore gtrep, No need to create new repository in new server. Please Correct me if i am wrong.

R: Yes, you are correct. You can connect you datamaker directly to the migrated repository.

5. If SQL Server is not installed in Mixed Authentication mode, if I create "sa" account explicitly from SQL Server, will it be fine. Please suggest on this.

If SQL is not in Mixed mode, sa user is probably created, but disabled my MS SQL:

1. Open SQL Server Management Studio.
    2. Choose Windows Authentication from the Authentication drop down list.
    3. Click Connect to open the Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio window.
    4. Expand Security and then expand Logins.
    5. Right-click sa and click Properties.
    6. Click Status and check the box for Login Enabled.
      Note: You may have to give the sa account a password at this time as well.

• 3.  Re: Points to be considered when we change the DataBase for TDM.

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 28, 2017 10:21 AM

Rajasekhar,

Your steps are correct. Only change is that for Step 5 you will need to first change the authentication mode to mixed and then enable the sa account. Even if you enable the sa account and the authentication mode is not changed you will not be able to login using the sa account. Given below are the steps to change the authentication mode and enable the sa account.

To change security authentication mode

1. Login to the server using windows authenthication
    2. In SQL Server Management Studio Object Explorer, right-click the server, and then click Properties
    3. On the Security page, under Server authentication, select the new server authentication mode, and then click OK
    4. In the SQL Server Management Studio dialog box, click OK to acknowledge the requirement to restart SQL Server.
    5. In Object Explorer, right-click your server, and then click Restart. If SQL Server Agent is running, it must also be restarted.

To enable the sa login

1. In Object Explorer, expand Security, expand Logins, right-click sa, and then click Properties.
    2. On the General page, you might have to create and confirm a password for the login.
    3. On the Status page, in the Login section, click Enabled, and then click OK.

Thanks,

Anil

• 4.  Re: Points to be considered when we change the DataBase for TDM.

Posted Oct 03, 2017 08:30 AM

Thanks Artur and Anil for your inputs.  DataBase migration went successful.

Thank You.

Regards,

Rajaekhar

• 5.  Re: Points to be considered when we change the DataBase for TDM.

Posted Oct 03, 2017 09:03 AM

Hi, Rajasekhare

Please email narma13@ca.com , if you need any help on this. I can help you.

Thanks and Regards

Manju

• 6.  Re: Points to be considered when we change the DataBase for TDM.

Posted Oct 08, 2017 07:37 AM

Thanks Narma. 

If anything is required i will contact you.