DX Application Performance Management

• 1.  10.5.2 Missing Metrics with Data

Posted Sep 29, 2017 10:04 AM

What happened to the Metrics with Data metrics on collectors

Enterprise Manager\|Data Store\|SmartStor\|MetaData:Metrics with Data

Allow me to Elaborate

Up to Version 10.1 I could monitor an Enterprise Manager\|Data Store\|SmartStor\|MetaData:Metrics with Data metric to see how many current and histric metrics where on each of the collectors. When this metric started getting closer to the limit the Collector started having issues

I upgraded to Wily 10.5.2 and this metric has been discontinued 

• 2.  Re: 10.5.2 Missing Metrics with Data
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 02, 2017 05:43 AM

Hello Dave,

This supportability metric was specific for the old SS metadata model. There is no metadata cleanup needed anymore.

a) In 9.5, we introduced an automated mechanism to clean up the smartstor metadata, the process remove metrics and agents for which there is no data. This process takes place during reperiodization (midnight) after tier3 and you can disable the automated process by setting introscope.enterprisemanager.metadata.autoexpire=false, however this is not recommended.

This enhancement reduce/alleviate the common issue of huge metadatas, however, there was still the limitation for the SS to not able to handle huge number of metrics, default clamp was 1.2M

b) In 10.5. we redesigned the SS metadata to solve the below main issues:
    -EM is eating big amount of memory when you have too many inactive metrics.
    -EM is eating too much CPU when it has too many inactive metrics.
    -There is high I/O for a rewrite metrics.metadata file.

-Minize/eliminate the need for a cleanup process

The result was a new metadata model to be able to handle more than 30M historical metrics vs the old 1.2M and there is no impact in cpu, memory and i/o

I hope this helps,

Sergio