Posted Oct 02, 2017 09:34 AM

There are a number of jars within the <agent>/tools directory:

CreateIU.jar

MergeUtility.jar

NetInterface.jar

PPrunGlobalStats.sh

SubNetworks.txt

URLGrouper.jar

Does anyone have any documentation on what these Jars are for, how to install/configure/use?

• 2.  Re: WebSphere Java Agent 10.5.2 tools
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 02, 2017 10:31 AM

Hello Billy,

Here is what I have found:

- MergeUtility.jar created as part of the 9.1 agent upgrade feature but it got deferred.
    the main idea was to merged existing pbd/pbl into a new set of pbds/pbls/profiles.
    Example of usage:
    Java –jar MergeUtility.jar customerDir=“C:/wily/core/config” upgradeDir=“C:/upgrade/core/config” rule=“C:/merge-rules.xml”

-NetInterface.jar (or for .NEt Agent, Interface.exe) created by Catalyst team, as part of 9.1, to use in detecting primary network interface name, which is a necessary value to make Catalyst APM Connector work.  

Without Catalyst, EM identifies a default value for introscope.agent.primary.net.interface.name based on an internal algorithm and populates a table in the APM DB with the result. With Catalyst, the administrator may want to change this value to something other than the default, and in order to identify the set of correct possible values, they run this new utility.  The user then selects a "Name" from the results and populates the property introscope.agent.primary.net.interface.name in the IntroscopeAgent.profile file. The EM then overwrites the default value in the APM database and uses the new value.

To summarize:
    Agent selects primary network interface automatically.
    Selection may be overridden by setting agent configuration parameter:
        introscope.agent.primary.net.interface.name
    Allows user to choose parameter value to get desired primary network interface
    Example:
    java –jar <Agent_Home>/wily/tools/NetInterface.jar

- subnetworks.txt works with NetInterface.jar and is passed as an argument.
    Based on TT#69655, I see IP_FAMILY_ORDER values (-1, 0, 1) and the subnetworks.txt are parameters that you can pass to this NI tool to troubleshoot issues but neither dev/qa used them before as the tool worked alywas as expected.

-URLGrouper.jar command-line utility that analyzes web server log files.
    Main goal: speed up creation of URLgrouping on the Agent.

-CreateIU.jar - This was a mistake, I can see US180394 requesting to stop bundling this jar as part as the agent.

-PPrunGlobalStats.sh- Based on TT#74696.  This file is used to start the Request Exit Global starts thread which will show the Stats metrics for CTG on z/OS.

I have added a comment to this page so these agent tools/jars get property documented:

Directory Structure - CA Application Performance Management - 10.5 - CA Technologies Documentation 

I hope this helps,

Thanks,

Sergio

• 3.  Re: WebSphere Java Agent 10.5.2 tools

Posted Oct 02, 2017 10:43 AM

Thank you Sergio.

From this, I'm going to be deleting the "tools" directory from the agent since we do not need any of those features/functions.

Thank you,

Billy