Layer7 API Management

• 1.  More Error Information

Posted Oct 02, 2017 03:52 PM

Hello,

I'm interested in debugging a policy.  Can someone help me remember how to amplify the error reporting?  Specifically, I want to see what assertion failed my policy.  I recall there being a setting somewhere that allowed you to enable more detail in the error response, but can't remember what it is.

Specifically, I'm trying to figure out a rate limit is being hit.

Thanks,

Alejandro

• 2.  Re: More Error Information

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 02, 2017 04:29 PM

Hi Alejandro,

Perhaps you are thinking of adding the 'Customize SOAP Fault Response' assertion and setting the 

fault to 'Full Detail' to obtain further information?

You can also look at adding the 'Audit Messages in Policy' assertion to the top of the policy which

will generate further audit/log messages and should also help you narrow in on what assertion

is causing the policy to fail.

Hope that helps.

Daren

• 3.  Re: More Error Information
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 02, 2017 04:31 PM

Alejandro,

There are multiple ways on how to debug policy:

1. If you're getting a SOAP Fault error when hitting the endpoint, you can set the following assertion at the top of the policy: Customize SOAP Fault Response. Set it to Full Detail and more information will appear about the error:

Customize SOAP Fault Response Assertion - CA API Gateway - 9.2 - CA Technologies Documentation 

2. There's our standard way of auditing messages in policy:

About Message Auditing - CA API Gateway - 9.2 - CA Technologies Documentation 

3. If you are on a more recent version of the API Gateway, you can run the policy through our Service Debugger feature where you can set break points and debug it line by line: 

Working with the Service Debugger - CA API Gateway - 9.2 - CA Technologies Documentation 

4. Standard ssg logs:

/opt/SecureSpan/Gateway/node/default/var/logs/ssg_0_0.log

Let me know if any of the above helps further troubleshoot the policy for you.

-Alec Daniello

APIM Support

• 4.  Re: More Error Information

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 02, 2017 09:44 PM

I usually enable policy debug tracing (on service properties window) for debugging, and it will show the assertion number.