Layer7 API Management

• 1.  API Gateway - MySQL database local or external

Posted Oct 03, 2017 03:21 AM

Hi,

about MySQL database of API Gateway, after reading the documentation, I'm not sure if the MySQL database must external (I mean not installed on the same VM of the API Gateway) of if it can be internal (I know a local SQL database installation exists on the VMWare OVA image, right?)

My question is related to a brand new Production environment with a cluster of 2 API Gateway nodes of Virtual appliance deployment type (VMWare OVA).

I'm pretty new with API Gateway so any suggestion about architecture of the solution or limitation related to MySQL database will be appreciated.

E.g. I red about the limitation of a maximum of two MySQL database servers can be configured for database replication in a Gateway cluster.

Thanks,

Gabriele

• 2.  Re: API Gateway - MySQL database local or external
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 03, 2017 03:30 AM

Dear Gabriele,

By default the Virtual appliance already holds a copy of MYSQL on it.

So one can start using it immediately and there is no need to install any remote MYSQL DB.

We would advise to keep Auditing outside the Gateway host, to allow the local DB to handle only policy requests and let a remote/target handle the Audit.

And yes, MYSQL Replication is only between two MYSQL DB's.

A cluster can hold few Gateways, but the replication is between two DB Servers.

Do let me know if this answers your question and if you have more questions with regards to this topic.

Kind Regards,

Amit.

• 3.  Re: API Gateway - MySQL database local or external

Posted Oct 03, 2017 04:11 AM

Hi Amit,

thanks for the answer.

About your suggestion to keep Auditing outside Gateway host, it means an external database is required, right? Also, to configure this split between operation database and auditing database does documentation exists?

• 4.  Re: API Gateway - MySQL database local or external

Posted Oct 03, 2017 05:34 PM

Hi Gabriele,

You are most welcome.

And yes, we have this topic documented:

Working with the Audit Sink Policy - CA API Gateway - 9.2 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Managing Audit Sinks - CA API Gateway - 9.2 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Configure External Audit Store Wizard - CA API Gateway - 9.2 - CA Technologies Documentation 

The wizard will create the needed tables for you and all you need is a to configure the DB connection as documented.

Of Course one can use external Audit other than DB, such as SYSLOG/SPLUNK/etc...

It is up to you to decide where your central auditing is stored.

Hope this helps and answers your questions.

Kind Regards,

Amit.

• 5.  Re: API Gateway - MySQL database local or external

Posted Oct 25, 2018 12:11 PM

Hi Amit, 

We are looking for configuring splunk . It would be helpful If you share documents for how to configure the splunk for external Audit  or splunk configuration for ssg logs. 

Thanks,

Sunil S