DX Unified Infrastructure Management

Expand all | Collapse all

How to override hostname/IP in snmpcollector?

• 1.  How to override hostname/IP in snmpcollector?

Posted Oct 03, 2017 12:57 PM

How can I change the hostname/IP in snmpcollector?

Let's say i've created an new SNMP-profile with ip 192.168.0.1. That's now the profile name... how can I change the name so it will override 192.168.0.1 to something else, in the alarm view (USM or IM) and also for the QoS?

• 2.  Re: How to override hostname/IP in snmpcollector?

Posted Oct 04, 2017 04:18 AM

Today, it's not possible to rename a profile in SNMPCollector. The only way is duplicate profile, change the name and delete the previous profile. Then you'll have to play with the SLM portlet to merge QOS, and/or use qos_processor to override the names...

• 3.  Re: How to override hostname/IP in snmpcollector?

Posted Oct 04, 2017 04:51 AM

Ok, thank you.

Can't find the option to duplicate the profiles though? 

Also, can you tag them with an origin or user_tag, so you can group them easily in USM ?

• 4.  Re: How to override hostname/IP in snmpcollector?

Posted Oct 04, 2017 05:21 AM

Hi,

Oops, my bad! Sorry, indeed, this is not possible to duplicate the profile in the SNMPCollector probe (while it is in many other probes). Didn't remember that limitation. Having the appropriate origin or user_tag in the SNMP Collector probe is not something easy (and pretty annoying). You can vote for those two ideas to make it easier:

In the meantime, you can do something as:

• Use qos_processor to override the origin field of devices (and qos) according to your critieria
    • Use the "User Defined Property" field you have on each profile to build something which can be use afterwards to determine the appropriate origin and override it in the database (again, using qos_processor for example or something of your own).

When a QOS is modified through qos_processor, the S_QOS_DATA table entry is modified and this modification is picked up by discovery_server which will put the expected origin on the created Computer System.

This should help you reach your objective!

• 5.  Re: How to override hostname/IP in snmpcollector?

Posted Oct 04, 2017 09:07 AM

Thank you! 

I saw that you can override the origin thru qos_processor with a script. Does this mean that you override the origin for all tables? Active alarms, active QoS-value, historical QoS-value (NAS_ALARM,  S_QOS_SNAPSHOT,  RN_QOS_DATA_*).

And would need to have an AO-profile that will run the script every time there is an alarm, to change the origin?

Could you please explain more about the "User Defined Property"?

E.g could I use this when grouping objects in USM with the filters? I can't really find the "User Defined Property" in the filters or in any table columns.

• 6.  Re: How to override hostname/IP in snmpcollector?

Posted Oct 04, 2017 10:31 AM

Hi,

The qos_processor probe starts updates the qos origin in the S_QOS_DATA table, S_QOS_SNAPSHOT and RN_QOS tables don't need any change. Then discovery_server add the origin on as an attribute on the Computer System, so alarms and so the CS should be seen only by those who have access to that origin.

For Alarms unfortunately, no, it will not be the case. You'll have to use alarm_enrichment if you need to change alarm origin.

The "User Defined Property” is a field on each SNMP profile, available to put whatever you want. You can use it to fill-in the information you want. Now that I'm thinking a bit more about it, this is only something you can leverage in the Template Editor of the probe. I don't think the User Defined Property are published to be used in USM groups…

• 7.  Re: How to override hostname/IP in snmpcollector?

Posted Oct 04, 2017 10:55 AM

Ok thanks again

So I will explain my issue:

We'll have a customer with 400 network devices in the snmpcollector.

This customer has an account in USM, with ownership of its own origin, let's say the origin is "google". And the snmpcollector is installed on remote HUB, let's say with the origin "apple".

So, when a user from this account will logon to the UMP/USM, he will only see devices within the origin of google. So the 400 devices will only be present if I gave him ownership of the origin "apple".

Is there any workaround for this, or is our setup wrong?

• 8.  Re: How to override hostname/IP in snmpcollector?
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 04, 2017 11:30 AM

Well, depending on the way you look at things, you can do different things:

1. If you can afford having a dedicated snmpcollector per customer, you solve the problem setting the origin of the hub hosting the snmpcollector to "google”.
    2. If not, that's precisely the reason qos_processor has been created. You can have a look at that article if you want to understand it deeper: https://support.ca.com/us/knowledge-base-articles.TEC000005340.html. Basically, when a new QOS_MESSAGE arrives and based on some criteria the probe changes the origin of devices to match what you want. After a couple of minutes/hours, the devices should get a new origin "google” in addition of the former one, and should be seen by the "google” contact users.
    3. Last but not least, you can use the cm_data_import probe before discovering devices in snmpcollector, because in there you can specify the needed origin for all devices in there. If attributes are properly filled-in, discovery_server will reconcile the "imported by file” created device and the one posted by snmpcollector itself to one, with the correct origin. Though, as stated here https://docops.ca.com/ca-unified-infrastructure-management/8-5-1/en/installing-ca-uim/discover-systems-to-monitor/configuring-discovery/run-file-based-import that's sometimes unpredictable because the order devices have been created matters.

To sum up, if your devices are already created and don't have the correct origin, you can use qos_processor (or something more custom, which might require CA Services help) to override the origin of the device once it's created and also change the origin of the qos after the first one is received and you should end up with device having the original origin and the one you need and their qos properly linked.

I hope that makes sense to you!

• 9.  Re: How to override hostname/IP in snmpcollector?

Posted Oct 04, 2017 12:46 PM

Great answer!

I think we'll go with number two 

And use a script to change the origin of the alarms with a AO-profile.

I hope origin and usertag will be optional later in the snmpcollector though

• 10.  Re: How to override hostname/IP in snmpcollector?

Posted Oct 04, 2017 01:03 PM

One more question

Is it possible to group the profiles in snmpcollector? Adding a new folder?

• 11.  Re: How to override hostname/IP in snmpcollector?

Posted Oct 06, 2017 06:02 AM

Unfortunately no... But that would be a very nice addition I agree!