Layer7 API Management

• 1.  Creating Multipart messages with binary attachments

Posted Oct 04, 2017 03:58 AM

Hi All,

We are trying to make a multipart message from scratch - with a binary attachment (e.g. a zip or pdf file). 

Is there any way to create such a message? When we try to use the set context Variable assertion and add the attachment as text, it's not a binary file anymore. Base 64 is not an option.

Perhaps there is a tactical assertion - create a multipart message, or something like that?

Thanks,

Jan Jaap

• 2.  Re: Creating Multipart messages with binary attachments

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 04, 2017 08:57 AM

Hi Jan,

There is a tactical assertion for creating a MIME message. You will need to create a support ticket requesting access to the tactical assertion.

• 3.  Re: Creating Multipart messages with binary attachments

Posted Oct 04, 2017 09:03 AM

Hi Barry,

Thanks for your help. Do you happen to know if this works for a binary multipart too?

Will open a case an request to check.

Thanks,

Jan Jaap

• 4.  Re: Creating Multipart messages with binary attachments

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 04, 2017 12:18 PM

Jan,

The Tactical assertion you want to request is AssembleMimeMessage 

Support will need you exact gateway version from the rpm -qa | grep ssg.

There is no specific reference to binary in the user documentation of the tactical assertion.

But you can specify the content header type and at first glance I dont see a reason why it couldnt include binary files, but I havent specifically tested it.

Thanks.

• 5.  Re: Creating Multipart messages with binary attachments

Posted Oct 05, 2017 02:56 AM

Hi Charles, 

Thanks for your reply, I have opened a case and requested the assertion. Creating a multipart message with set context var doesn't work since the gateway tries to interpred the binary string which fails - creating a corrupted file. I fear that the tatical assertion also only works for string values (or base 64 encoded attachments) but will try it to be sure.

Thanks.

• 6.  Re: Creating Multipart messages with binary attachments

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 09, 2017 10:19 AM

Please let us know if the assertion did what you are looking to do. If not please log a idea on our community for this use case.

Sincerely,

Stephen Hughes

Director, CA Support