Rally Software

Expand all | Collapse all

Custom views in CAAC at different hierarchy structure

• 1.  Custom views in CAAC at different hierarchy structure

Posted Oct 04, 2017 09:27 AM

Hello Team,

Does anyone know how to create a custom view in Agile Central where the project hierarchy is in different organization with in the work space.

I tried creating a shared view at the high level hierarchy. Some of the team members expressed a concern about shared views at Top level.

Is there a possibility that I can create a view in my project space and pull the required information from different project hierarchy structure whether it may be from Top or bottom.

Appreciate if anyone have knowledge in this area.

~Raghu

• 2.  Re: Custom views in CAAC at different hierarchy structure

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 04, 2017 05:34 PM

Hi Raghu, shared views are not pinned to a project.  Can you tell us what view you are trying to share?  There might be an app such as custom list that can show what you're looking for and be pinned to a certain project.  If you add that to a shared page, that may do the trick.

• 3.  Re: Custom views in CAAC at different hierarchy structure

Posted Oct 06, 2017 01:58 PM

Hello Adwin , Thank you for the reply. My requirement is to Create a common view by pulling/filter  the data from 2 different projects which are in 2 different hierarchies under same workspace  and need to show that view in my project which is lowest in hierarchy. I used an app called "custom list(formerly custom grid) " where I need to show the data from different projects which are in 2 different hierarchies. The Field "project" is only giving me an option to select one project. In this case I though of using Advanced Filters and it does not work.

Let me know your available time. I will connect with you to show the requirement .

Thanks Again.

~Raghu

• 4.  Re: Custom views in CAAC at different hierarchy structure

Posted Oct 09, 2017 01:30 PM

Hi Raghu,

You can pin your app to a project above the two you're trying to pull from in the hierarchy, so they are both in scope, and then use a query within the app to limit results to just the two projects you want results from like this:  

((Project.Name = "Jets") OR (Project.Name = "Sharks"))

As long as the fixed (pinned) scope of the app includes the two projects you're pulling from, you'll get the results you want no matter where you navigate.

• 5.  Re: Custom views in CAAC at different hierarchy structure

Posted Oct 17, 2017 10:12 AM

Hello Terry,

I pinned the app in my project and the information I need is from above projects in the hierarchy. So The Query the giving the option when I try to pull the information above in the hierarchy.

• 6.  Re: Custom views in CAAC at different hierarchy structure

Posted Oct 17, 2017 03:43 PM

Hi Raghu,

You need to pin the app in a project that is above any of the projects you're pulling from.  For example:

Company

Release Train A

Team 1

Team 2

Release Train B

Team 3

Team 4

If you wanted to see information from Team 1 and Team 4, you'd need to pin the app to the Company project, then reference Team 1 and Team 4 in the query.  That's the only way this would work.

• 7.  Re: Custom views in CAAC at different hierarchy structure

Posted Oct 17, 2017 04:32 PM

Yes. But people have objections if I create the view at company level. I am trying to do keep the view in Team 4 and pull the information form Team 1 and 2. and which is not working.

This morning. . I tried @conny help using the workviews..and still doing the some more customization on top of it

• 8.  Re: Custom views in CAAC at different hierarchy structure

Posted Oct 17, 2017 04:39 PM

The view (page you're creating) can be anywhere, it's just the app itself that is pointed at a higher place.  Conny's option, work views, should also work.  Work views operate completely independently of the project browser, so you can include whatever projects you have access to.  The catch is that you can't share a work view with others, so anyone else who needs the same view would need to create it and save it for themselves.  Work views provide some interesting options, and I think they will continue to improve. 

One other catch is that if you operate with more than one workspace (we have a few), the list of work views is visible across all workspaces, but only renders information when used in the correct workspace.  I've taken to including identifying the relevant workspace in the name of each of my work views to avoid confusion.

• 9.  Re: Custom views in CAAC at different hierarchy structure
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 10, 2017 04:56 AM

Hi Raghu,

you might also want to look into Work Views. For Work Views you can manage and select several projects from different levels to be shown. See Work Views | CA Agile Central Help 

• 10.  Re: Custom views in CAAC at different hierarchy structure

Posted Oct 17, 2017 04:33 PM

Thank you for the information. I am trying this option. will let you know

• 11.  Re: Custom views in CAAC at different hierarchy structure

Posted Oct 30, 2017 11:41 AM

Hello Conny - Thank you for all your help. The work views helped my situation.