Layer7 API Management

• 1.  How to secure private keys in gateway

Posted Oct 05, 2017 07:16 PM

How can I protect private keys in the gateway that are owned by different development groups?

Development group X has a private key that is used to authenticate to web service X.

Development group Y has a private key that is used to authenticate to web service Y.

How can I prevent development group X from using development group Y's private key to access service Y?

Thanks!

- Josh

• 2.  Re: How to secure private keys in gateway

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 05, 2017 10:22 PM

Dear Josh,

Not sure your use case, but as the name suggested, the private key should be kept by the owner only, you should only need to install their public keys on gateway to establish mutual ssl connection.

Regards,

Mark

• 3.  Re: How to secure private keys in gateway

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 08, 2017 05:46 PM

Josh,

I was reviewing different security methods that could allow for only each group to use their own certificate. As the truststore that is used in the gateway is shared, neither roles or security zones (Understanding Security Zones - CA API Gateway - 9.2 - CA Technologies Documentation) has the capability to lock them down from being selected in the assertions. I would suggest that you open an idea in our community that speaks to this use case.

Sincerely,

Stephen Hughes

Director, CA Support

• 4.  Re: How to secure private keys in gateway
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 13, 2017 02:18 PM

## UPDATE ##

Stephen originally presented the data as we at CA understood it earlier. We have since discovered some newer information which has changed our viewpoint a bit. This seems to be possible with a mix of RBAC and Security Zones in use.

There is an open support case right now which is being worked on for this very topic (I think it's actually your own support case Josh, haha). Once we confirm this will work using a mix of RBAC and Security Zones, we will update this community post with the latest information of how we got it working so everyone can benefit from it.

Sincerely,

Dustin Dauncey
    Sr Support Engineer, Global Customer Success
    Email: Dustin.Dauncey@ca.com
    Phone: +1 800 225 5224 ,48385
    Phone if outside North America - https://tinyurl.com/CAContactSupport
    CA API Management Community: https://tinyurl.com/CAAPIMCommunity