Harvest

Expand all | Collapse all

Multiple folders check in - Harvest (Workbench)

• 1.  Multiple folders check in - Harvest (Workbench)

Posted Oct 12, 2017 03:15 PM

How to check in a whole structure of folders? I have found, that it's possible to check in a hierarchy: https://support.ca.com/us/knowledge-base-articles.tec344095.html But we have a tree with many-many branches (hierarchies) - thousands of folders and files alltogether.

• 2.  Re: Multiple folders check in - Harvest (Workbench)

Posted Oct 13, 2017 01:47 PM

Level 1 support is researching if there is a hierarchy limitation.

We will get back to you next week.

• 3.  Re: Multiple folders check in - Harvest (Workbench)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 16, 2017 10:01 AM

There is a field in the Harvest database that holds the fully qualified path name - for example "\MyRepository\MyProject\FolderLevel1\FolderLevel11\FolderLevel111\..."  It has a limit of 1024 characters. 

So there is not a specific number of levels in the folder structure that Harvest would see as a limitation, but the number of characters in the fully qualified folder name.  If your folder names are very long you would be able to have fewer folder levels and if your folder names are very short you would be able to have many folder levels.

• 4.  Re: Multiple folders check in - Harvest (Workbench)

Posted Oct 16, 2017 10:35 AM

Hi Melinda,

Thaks for the answer!

You wrote how to check in of only one branch (whose path must not exceed 1024 characters) - I know the way to do that, it's described in the link I provided in my question.

But our structure is a complicated tree having many-many branches.

There should be a way to drag-n-drop the root folder so that it will be checked in with all the contained folders and files.

It's a pretty basic operation (I don't think I am the first person who needs to check in a complicated hierarchy).

• 5.  Re: Multiple folders check in - Harvest (Workbench)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 16, 2017 01:20 PM

Adding the functionality to drag and drop a folder from Windows Explorer into Workbench would be a great idea to simplify checking in a folder structure.  You should post that as a new "Idea".

Though we can't do that now, there is a way to recursively check in a folder and all the other files and folders within:

We'd first select the folder in the project's data view in Workbench that will contain the folders and files to be checked in:

Next we would click the "Folder" icon to browse to the folder in the Windows file system containing the folders and files to be checked in.  Make sure the top-level folder you select in the "Browse For Folder" window matches up with the folder in the "To:" field on the Check In Items window.

On the Find Files window, make sure that the "Include subfolders" checkbox is not checked.  Click the "Find" button and then select all the folders within your selected "Look in" folder to be checked in. Don't worry about selecting anything at the lower level at this point.  Then click "OK".

And back on the Check In Items window, make sure to check the "Recursive" checkbox at the bottom before cliicking OK.

The one limitation with this method is that if all you have is an empty folder structure with no files, this will not work.  Harvest will not create the empty folder structure this way.  However there is a way to write a Windows Batch Script that will traverse the folder structure and use the "hcrtpath" command line utility to create the folders inside your Harvest repository.

If the above method might accomplish what you were wanting to do can you give this a try?

• 6.  Re: Multiple folders check in - Harvest (Workbench)

Posted Oct 27, 2017 01:23 PM

Thank you, Melinda!

You wrote:

"if all you have is an empty folder structure with no files, this will not work"

My question is: will a folder be checked in if it has another folder under it, but no files just in it? Many times, only the very last folder in the hierarchy contains files; the upper-levels folders of the chain contains only folders, but not files.

• 7.  Re: Multiple folders check in - Harvest (Workbench)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 27, 2017 02:34 PM

Hello Michael,

In that situation, yes, all the intermediate folder levels will be checked in, as long as they are in the path of a file to be checked in.  Let me know if this makes sense and answers your question.

Thanks

• 8.  Re: Multiple folders check in - Harvest (Workbench)

Posted Oct 27, 2017 04:34 PM

So, that is the picture: when I check in the root folder (SampleRepository in the example), everything inside it will be checked in as well, except of the last (in their chains) folders which don't contain files. Is that correct?

• 9.  Re: Multiple folders check in - Harvest (Workbench)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 27, 2017 05:21 PM

I think a picture might help:

Let me know if this makes sense.

• 10.  Re: Multiple folders check in - Harvest (Workbench)

Posted Oct 30, 2017 09:43 AM

Thanks for the illustration!

Question:

Let's say, Folder1 contains files. Will those files be checked in?

• 11.  Re: Multiple folders check in - Harvest (Workbench)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 30, 2017 10:35 AM

Yes, ALL files in your selected viewpath will be checked in, along with any folders directly related to those files.

Let me know if this makes sense.