CA Service Management

• 1.  i want to configure BSI database on linux server from scratch.

Posted Oct 13, 2017 01:55 AM

Hi,

I want to create BSI database on linux server from scratch. Any detailed information. Also How many mount points required to build initially ?

• 2.  Re: i want to configure BSI database on linux server from scratch.

Posted Oct 13, 2017 09:21 AM

Hi Sunil,

I am not a BSI engineer, BUT, I did take a look at the docs for the product and I found the following page:

Manually Create the Database - CA Business Service Insight - 8.3.5 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Not sure if that is of any help to you or not.  

Scott_Karbiner any ideas on this one?

Thanks,

Jon I.

• 3.  Re: i want to configure BSI database on linux server from scratch.
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 13, 2017 09:52 AM

Thanks for the heads-up on this question, Jon.

Sunil,

Assuming that you have Oracle installed and ready to go on Linux (probably 12.x) then normally you can have the product create the database by:

1) copying the BSI install image directory structure over,

2) running dos2unix on everything to make sure that the files are in the correct format, and

3) then running SetupDB/InstallDB/Main.sh

However, since you mention manually installing the database, I assume that you want to manually run DBCA and create the database, then go through all the steps in the main.sh script to build your schema manually. This is a good idea and I often do this to make sure that everything runs through fine and if you do encounter an error you can fix it before continuing on.

To do that, when you run DBCA you can create the database with most of the Oracle defaults. The only thing we change is to increase the number of sessions from 300 to 600 (these would be in the advanced options when you create the database). In a production environment this is often raised even higher.

That would build the database and you could then either manually run all the rest of the steps in main.sh in order to build the schema. Or, more easily, just comment out the DBCA line from main.sh and run main.sh to complete the setup against that existing database.

The following techdoc will give you some good additional information:

https://support.ca.com/us/knowledge-base-articles.TEC595674.html

I hope this answers your question.

• 4.  Re: i want to configure BSI database on linux server from scratch.

Posted Oct 27, 2017 12:22 PM

Thanks Scott really helpful comments and i got the idea. One point is I have installed the oracle software and run the BSI-Conv.Sh. it is successfully executed and convert the dos files to unix. Now i have run the Main.Sh files and setup finishes in 10 sec. giving me the below errors.

Adding TNSNAME to tnsname.ora
    MAIN.SH: line 160: /Software/SetupDB/InstallDB/addTnsName.sh: No such file or directory
    Installation process started Fri Oct 27 19:36:45 IST 2017
    Database creation process started...

Now on browsing the Main.Sh file i have found the entries as 

echo "Adding TNSNAME to tnsname.ora"
    cd $START_DIR
    $START_DIR/addTnsName.sh $ORACLE_HOME $DB_NAME $DB_NAME

if test $? -eq 1
    then 
    echo "Warning: An error has occurred while trying to add TNSNAME to tnsname.ora."
    exit 1

I have tried by editing the MAIN.SH file (changing addTnsName.sh to ADDTNSNA.SH) and then run the Main.SH file 

ADDTNSNA.SH it successfully run. But all db objects in directory names in Main.SH are not matching with one present

in InstallDB directory.   

Please confirm DB objects names mentioned in MAIN.SH should be according to the one present in the directory ? 

if you say yes and ADDTNSNA.SH should also present in same letters in MAIN.SH file. Then CA should provide us the correct 

MAIN.SH file. Thanks for to give your comments if i am wrong.

• 5.  Re: i want to configure BSI database on linux server from scratch.

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 27, 2017 12:30 PM

If you are now getting an error "SetupDB/InstallDB/addTnsName.sh: No such file or directory",   Where did it go? That file exists out of the box. So I suspect that there was a problem copying over the entire source.

• 6.  Re: i want to configure BSI database on linux server from scratch.

Posted Nov 01, 2017 02:51 AM

Thanks scott,

It was an issue with 7 zip extraction. i tried it with winzip and i extracted and got the right files now there is no longer of character Set-8 issue. Will configure the tns and listener and then run the scripts. 

Thanks & Regards

Sunil Chugh

• 7.  Re: i want to configure BSI database on linux server from scratch.

Posted Oct 27, 2017 12:22 PM

Thanks Scott really helpful comments and i got the idea. One point is I have installed the oracle software and run the BSI-Conv.Sh. it is successfully executed and convert the dos files to unix. Now i have run the Main.Sh files and setup finishes in 10 sec. giving me the below errors.

Adding TNSNAME to tnsname.ora
    MAIN.SH: line 160: /Software/SetupDB/InstallDB/addTnsName.sh: No such file or directory
    Installation process started Fri Oct 27 19:36:45 IST 2017
    Database creation process started...

Now on browsing the Main.Sh file i have found the entries as 

echo "Adding TNSNAME to tnsname.ora"
    cd $START_DIR
    $START_DIR/addTnsName.sh $ORACLE_HOME $DB_NAME $DB_NAME

if test $? -eq 1
    then
    echo "Warning: An error has occurred while trying to add TNSNAME to tnsname.ora."
    exit 1

I have tried by editing the MAIN.SH file (changing addTnsName.sh to ADDTNSNA.SH) and then run the Main.SH file 

ADDTNSNA.SH it successfully run. But all db objects in directory names in Main.SH are not matching with one present

in InstallDB directory.   

Please confirm DB objects names mentioned in MAIN.SH should be according to the one present in the directory ? 

if you say yes and ADDTNSNA.SH should also present in same letters in MAIN.SH file. Then CA should provide us the correct 

MAIN.SH file. Thanks for to give your comments if i am wrong.