Clarity

• 1.  How to read excel file data from knowledge store in processes

Posted Oct 13, 2017 10:24 AM

I have attached an Excel file in Knowledge store. I need to read the excel file data from Knowledge store in Processes.

• 2.  Re: How to read excel file data from knowledge store in processes
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 13, 2017 11:14 AM

The file contents will be in the clb_dms_file_store table ( file_contents column contains the file in binary format )

So your process needs to be able to decode that file_contents somehow - you might find that calling a database procedure (from your process) will be easier than trying to handle it all in the process (i.e. in a GEL script) though. (I'm sure you could handle it in GEL, but database just seems easier to me?)

• 3.  Re: How to read excel file data from knowledge store in processes

Posted Oct 20, 2017 09:23 AM

Hi David,

Thanks for the info.

Do you have any sample gel script code for the above process could you please share with me.

Thanks,

Satya

• 4.  Re: How to read excel file data from knowledge store in processes

Posted Oct 20, 2017 11:46 AM

sbhoopalam wrote:

Do you have any sample gel script code for the above process could you please share with me.

No sorry - I've only ever done it with XML data (not even XML format Excel documents) stored in the knowledge store, and then via DB procedure rather than GEL (which is why I suggested it  )

Gene's suggestions about the apache library(s) to use would be the GEL solution... but I'm well out of my depth when we start going there

• 5.  Re: How to read excel file data from knowledge store in processes

Posted Oct 13, 2017 11:59 AM

To read an excel file with GEL, you will need to leverage the poi.apache.org library either HSSF or XSSF classes depending on the excel format -- xls vs xlsx.

The HSSFWorkbook and XSSFWorkbook class constructors accept a java.io.InputStream so you will need to get the file_contents (Dave's post) into an inputstream.

So on your query against clb_dms_file_store, just get the file_contents blob from the queried resultset and once you have the blog you can pass the an inputstream via the getBinaryStream method on the blob.

V/r,

Gene