DX Application Performance Management

• 1.  Sending Alerts from APM Status Console

Posted Oct 17, 2017 12:26 PM

Is there anyway to attach an action/alert to the important events displayed within the APM Status Console?

There are a number of "Important Events" that I would like to have an email notification sent when they appear.  For example the "Database Connectivity lost" event, would like to have an email notification when an important event occurs.

I'm guessing that if they are important events there should be a way to notify the administrator so it can be corrected.

APM Status Console

• 2.  Re: Sending Alerts from APM Status Console

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 17, 2017 02:26 PM

Would like to hear first from APM Customers/Admins and CA Partners. Has anyone else find the need for this? If so, did you find a way to set this up?

• 3.  Re: Sending Alerts from APM Status Console
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 18, 2017 09:13 AM

Hi Billy,

One way to do this is to double click on the event and it will bring you to the metric/agent that has the problem.  From there you can right click and create a new simple alert on that.

However if you're looking for more of a fluid capability, then you would need to create an Idea on the community here.  

I do think it would be a great idea if there was a faster way to have an alert created from the apm status console.  Or some type of automated response from the status console rather than you having to manually set something up.

Thanks,
    Matt

• 4.  Re: Sending Alerts from APM Status Console

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 18, 2017 10:05 AM

Billy,

When you create the idea, let us know here and we'll upvote it with you.

Thanks,
    Matt

• 5.  Re: Sending Alerts from APM Status Console

Posted Oct 19, 2017 09:32 AM

I tried to double click, right click, left click on the "Important Events" and was not taken to the agent/metric in the metric browser.  So I am unable to create a simple alert on the "Important Events"

I would expect that the Collector Information would be based on the metrics under

*SuperDomain*|Custom Metric Host (Virtual)|Custom Metric Process (Virtual)|Custom Metric Agent (Virtual) (<enterprise manager>@5001)|Enterprise Manager|Tasks:Smartstor Duration (ms)

But then, in the case above, the Smartstor Duration is a metric and it did not appear in the Collector Information but is a metric that is present in the Introscope Workstation - Metric Browser, so really not sure if I can double click on the "Collector Information" row to be take to a interface that I can then right click and create a simple alert.

But for the Important Events, I'm guessing that is similar to the "What's Interesting" events that we had back in 9.6 that were not able to have any alerts, or actions assigned to them.

In the short term, I'll just create HP SiteScope monitors for postgres host ICMP ping, a 5432 port check and then a JDBC statement query to a system table in postgres cemdb database to keep an eye out on the condition of the postgres cemdb health.

• 6.  Re: Sending Alerts from APM Status Console

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 19, 2017 09:44 AM

That is interesting.  On a clamp event in the status console, I was able to click on it and have it take me to the metric.  Thus it must not work for all events.  Which, in my opinion, should be an enhancement.  All events in the status console from an administrator perspective should be an auto notification.

• 7.  Re: Sending Alerts from APM Status Console

Posted Oct 19, 2017 01:17 PM

When there is a message in the "Collector Information", you can double click on it to get the metric in the metric browser

But when it is a "Important Events", or "Denied Agents" messages, you can't double-click, right-click to go to the actual metric in the metric browser.

The APM Status Console, without the ability to link in an alert/action to the messages tend to be just noise and we depend on the example management modules: MOM-Infra_Monitoring_MM.jar and Collector.jar for our performance and capacity alerting.

We also use the Supportability.jar to help with over all view of the collectors.  We have modified the OOTB to include calculators for total agents, total metrics and connected collectors then we have alerts on each.

While not as pretty as the APM status console, does provide a way to get a quick overview on the over all condition and health of the APM cluster.