CA Service Management

Expand all | Collapse all

What framework does CA SDM use?

• 1.  What framework does CA SDM use?

Posted Oct 19, 2017 05:55 PM

Hi people,

I have a question, I want create a workflow in the SDM, but I'm new in this world so, If I want programm, about what framework working the CA SDM? or in what document can I search the reference.

I need building a custom ticket for each company what registred in CA SDM.

regards.

• 2.  Re: What framework does CA SDM use?

Posted Oct 20, 2017 07:03 AM

Hi Cindy,

It all depends on the complexity of your workflow processes, but presently there are two options for workflow namely:

• Classic Workflow
    • ITPAM.

===

Kind Regards,

Brian

• 3.  Re: What framework does CA SDM use?

Posted Oct 20, 2017 06:06 PM

Hi Brian,

when you tell me , what I have two option, in specific the classic workflow, what do you mean? Can you are more specific please

best regards.

• 4.  Re: What framework does CA SDM use?

Posted Oct 20, 2017 10:28 AM

Hi Dulce Cindy Gallardo,

First and foremost, welcome to the CA Service Desk Manager world!!  And welcome to the community!!

Based on your inquiry it appears you are a site with multiple companies using a single service desk instance, is this correct?  If so, are you using our multi-tenancy feature?  If not, how are you separating or differentiating tickets across the different companies?   The reason I ask is that I see you mentioned something about having to build a custom ticket for each company.  Now I am not sure what you mean by "custom ticket", but if you are meaning that each company has a different workflow that you need to apply to their tickets, you can do that very easily with the product.  CA Service Desk Manager has built in "classic workflow" which allows you to attach workflow tasks to a category, so when a ticket is created and that category is chosen, those workflow tasks are attached to that ticket.  However, it does not allow you have different workflows dependent upon the company for which the ticket is opened for.  Thats why I asked you the first few questions here - I need to get a better understanding of how you are using CA Service Desk Manager.  That said, you can read about the classic workflow tasks here: Define a Category or Area - CA Service Management - 17.0 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Now as Brian mentioned, there is also an ITPAM (IT Process Automation) product that integrates with CA Service Desk Manager, which has the capability of attaching workflows to tickets based on other things besides category. Additionally it has the capability of doing some much more complex and interactive workflows using its own, separate engine.  It requires its own server or set of servers, and is has a potential to be processor/memory/and database intensive depending on its usage.  So def. something to think about for sure.

Let us know on the questions that I asked here and give us a bit of a use case scenario so that we can continue to point you in the right direction on this one.

Thanks,

Jon I.

• 5.  Re: What framework does CA SDM use?

Posted Oct 20, 2017 12:26 PM

Hi Jon,

in fact, I tell you my situation.
    We are migrating platforms, before we had BMC now CA. We have installed PAM, in fact I have problem and we are with CA support to get it going.
    We have multi-tenancy but by contract clients ask us to customize the "ID" of their ticket. for example, in CA SDM I have a ticket 99 but the client wants to see I-00099 or INC-00099 as well for each ITSM module, ie PB-00099, CH-00099, etc.
    As I still do not know the platform well and I thought that with programming I could do this.

• 6.  Re: What framework does CA SDM use?

Posted Oct 20, 2017 01:27 PM

hi,

you need to check the thing called "spel", here is a place to start from: Where can I find Spel functions documentation? 

spel is inner programming language, it's not documented and not supported by vendor (because invalid code can harm your env, cause data loss, etc) but it's great tool to achieve anything, use it at your own risk.

regards,

cdtj

• 7.  Re: What framework does CA SDM use?

Posted Oct 20, 2017 07:00 PM

Hi,

how do you inject the code, that is, when you use "spel" how you make the code you generate can be executed, because what I'm definitely looking for is a personalization don't exist.

regards,

Cindy

• 8.  Re: What framework does CA SDM use?
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 21, 2017 07:08 AM

It's hard to explain even basics in a single post but regarding to your scenario customization could look like (code presented next isn't tested, you can test it by yourself in a test env):

1. you need to register new trigger: SPEL API: BOP TRIGGERS 

- create new text file (i prefer to use notepad++) within path NX_ROOT(SDM_INSTALL_FOLDER)\site\mods\majic\z_cr_prefix.mod

- code part:

// MODIFY - key word for new trigger? can't explain more
    // cr - is request/incident/problem factory (database table named Call_req)
    // PRE_VALIDATE - will trigger !before! object initialized for edit
    // z_cr_prefix - function name, all custom functions should start from "z_" (good practice, avoid conflicts)
    // () - no need to pass any arguments
    // 1000 - sequence, if you need to order your triggers, should be unique acros all trigger even out-of-the-box
    // FILTER(EVENT("INSERT")) - trigger only once when object is created (inserted in db)
    MODIFY cr PRE_VALIDATE z_cr_prefix() 1000 FILTER(EVENT("INSERT"));

2. create spel function:

create new file: NX_ROOT\site\mods\majic\z_cr_prefix.spl

- code:

cr::z_cr_prefix(...) {
         logf(SIGNIFICANT, "%s > Trying to add prefix to ticket [%s %s]", persistnet_id, type.sym, ref_num);
         if (type == "I") {
              ref_num = format("INC-%s", ref_num);
         } else if (type == "R") {
              ref_num = format("REQ-%s", ref_num);
         }
         logf(SIGNIFICANT, "%s > New ticket num is: %s", persistnet_id, ref_num);
    }

if you need to create string with fixed length refer to sindex, gsub functions.

3. notes:

- you can check all attributes in a program called Web Screen Painter, cmd to open: pdm_wsp;

- you can modify and use attributes related with current object which triggered spel function;

- you can access sub-objects using dot reference, example: assignee.organization.name - for name of orgarnization of ticket's assignee;

- always check stdlog (at NX_ROOT\logs folder);

- using custom code is really risky, invalid code can accumulate errors and cause performance issues after days after implmentation;

- to apply changes you need to restart CA SDM service;

• 9.  Re: What framework does CA SDM use?

Posted Oct 21, 2017 05:10 PM

HI dulce.gallardo  - did cdtj 's post help you out on this?

• 10.  Re: What framework does CA SDM use?

Posted Oct 23, 2017 07:52 PM

Hi Jon Israel,

Yes, I sending the information my partner in developer's area and they analyst the information and they will building the code.

Regards.

Cindy.

• 11.  Re: What framework does CA SDM use?

Posted Oct 24, 2017 09:21 AM

Thanks Cindy - thats great!  Let us all know how it works out.

Jon

• 12.  Re: What framework does CA SDM use?

Posted Oct 23, 2017 02:48 PM

Hi,

Really, thank you so much!!! this week I will start this development and keep you informed, I will also tell you the results to contribute to the community

regards.

Cindy

• 13.  Re: What framework does CA SDM use?

Posted Oct 20, 2017 01:36 PM

Hi Dulce Cindy Gallardo,

Currently the product does not have a way out-of-the-box to change the ticket reference number prefix for each tenant.  Something like that, if it could be done at all, would require custom code that would be outside the scope of support and would require you to maintain it on your own through patches and upgrades.

Again, I am not sure what you mean by "platform" here.  There is code that runs behind the scenes called "spelcode" which we do not support custom code for, but there are folks out here on the community that have published some information on using it.  Its a proprietary language specific to Service Desk, and if you create custom code, its use-at-your-own-risk.  You run the risk of your custom code interfering with normal operation of the product, and possibly leading to performance problems if not implemented properly.

Jon I.

• 14.  Re: What framework does CA SDM use?

Posted Oct 20, 2017 07:17 PM

Hi Jon Israel,

When tell you about "platform" I mean I need to migrate the services I had in the BMC application to CA so I need migrate the ID customize because is necessary per contract.

I understand when you tell me I can use the spelcode, but I have risk, but I think I don't have other choice.
    Now the next step is understand about spelcode but really I appreciate you help.
    thank you so much!!!
    regards
    Cindy!!