DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  How to create a report in Nimsoft to see if a list of servers is "alive"?

Posted Oct 22, 2017 11:25 PM

Hi. I'm new to Nimsoft. In fact I was just given permissions to access the tool and it seems my permissions are very basic because I can see just a couple of reports. Anyway I need to ask to our Nimsoft support team for the creation of a report to show a list of servers (about 10 machines) with traffic lights (green/red) to see if the server is "alive". In order to achieve this, is enough to use "PING" as a way to measure if the server is "alive". If using "ping" is Ok, then how much is the recommended time between each "ping" (every 10 minutes)?.

Thank you very much

• 2.  Re: How to create a report in Nimsoft to see if a list of servers is "alive"?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 24, 2017 04:18 AM

Hello.

Are list of servers running Nimsoft Robot ?

Are list of servers just being monitored by some agentless probes such as net_connect ?

Regards,

Yu Ishitani

• 3.  Re: How to create a report in Nimsoft to see if a list of servers is "alive"?

Posted Oct 28, 2017 04:47 PM

Hi Yu, as fas as I know the servers have the Nimsoft robot installed then I'm going to ask to create a report using net_connect as David suggested.

Thank you very much

• 4.  Re: How to create a report in Nimsoft to see if a list of servers is "alive"?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 24, 2017 10:20 PM

The Network Connectivity Monitoring (net_connect) probe is able to monitors Host connectivity using ping (ICMP ECHO) commands.

You can set the time interval that the probe waits before it executes the profile. Default value is 5 min.
    Note: Reduce this interval to generate alarms frequently. A shorter interval can also increase the system load.

See details from the URL below
    https://docops.ca.com/ca-unified-infrastructure-management-probes/ga/en/alphabetical-probe-articles/net_connect-network-connectivity-monitoring/net_connect-im-configuration#net_connectIMConfiguration-CreateHostProfile

• 5.  Re: How to create a report in Nimsoft to see if a list of servers is "alive"?
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 28, 2017 04:52 PM

Hi David, I'll follow your advise and I'll ask to create a report using net_connect (with ping) and keeping the default values (QoS of 5 minutes is fine to me).

Thank you very much

Regards