DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  Oracle probe OCI failed to OracleExadata

Posted Oct 24, 2017 10:46 AM

Hi there,

I would like to monitor a couple of Oracle Exadata servers we have.

I found out with the oracle probe, but when I try to make the connection profile I get the following error 

"Connection test to xxxx failed with: Create OCI environment failed with rc = -1"

I can connect from the server where IM is installed to the Oracle server through SQLPlus with no problem.

Also, i've followed this link oracle probe connection errors: Create OCI environment failed with rc = -1 or OCIEnvCreate failed with rc = -1  instructions about system arch, versions, and controller environment settings.

Do you have any tips how to advanced from this error?

Is it possible with the Oracle probe to monitor OracleExadata servers?

thanks in advance

• 2.  Re: Oracle probe OCI failed to OracleExadata

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 24, 2017 10:52 AM

I have not heard of any testing for this and could not find it supported so note sure the quries in the oracle probe

will work correctly for this. You may end up creating all custom check points.

the RC-1 error is a common error and is always tied to setup of the environment.

the KB you linked should take care of that.

You may want to also look at a more generic probe for this such as the jdbc_response probe.

• 3.  Re: Oracle probe OCI failed to OracleExadata

Posted Jan 10, 2018 03:32 PM

Just to update

--------------------

I had to write tnsnames.ora with the oracle db connection settings

Had to enter environment variables for tnsames and tns_admin location

Before doing it with the probe, I check it with sqlplus install it on UIMRobot and afterwards on oracle probe.

After doing all of this, I could advanced with the error (had a different one but that's because the table is not operative yet as it was for testing)

Regards.