DX NetOps

Expand all | Collapse all

Tech Tip: Cannot ping the device from OneClick console but can ping from command prompt on SpectroServer

• 1.  Tech Tip: Cannot ping the device from OneClick console but can ping from command prompt on SpectroServer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 26, 2017 01:52 AM

On the OneClick console, right click on the device and click on "Ping", you receive an error "Request timed out". However, when you log to SpectroServer and open a command prompt, run the Ping command to ping the IP address of this device, the results show the device is pingable. 

Now please run a Network Sniffing tool on the SpectroServer, and try to ping the device from both SpectroServer command prompt and OneClick console. In the network packets, open the details of the request from SpectroServer to the device when pinging from the command prompt on SpectroServer, if you see the data is 32 bytes from Internet Control Message Protocol.

Capture3.JPG

Now open the details of the request from SpectroServer to the device when pinging from OneClick console. You will see the screen capture below.

Capture1.JPG

By default, Spectrum uses 64 bytes as the ICMP packet size to ping devices. There are some devices that have been configured to only accept the ICMP requests if the ICMP Packet Size is 32 bytes.  This is explains why we cannot ping those devices from OneClick console.

Resolution:

1. Please go to OneClick console and open the component details of the problematic device.

2. Click on "Attribute" tab, and search for ICMPPacketSize, the value for this attribute should be "64". 

3. Then change the value to 32 and save the change.

4. Please right click the device and ping the device, now you should be able to ping.

• 2.  Re: Tech Tip: Cannot ping the device from OneClick console but can ping from command prompt on SpectroServer

Posted Oct 26, 2017 01:56 AM

Very nice tip - thanks Yan

• 3.  Re: Tech Tip: Cannot ping the device from OneClick console but can ping from command prompt on SpectroServer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 26, 2017 02:03 AM

Thank you Hamza. Glad you like it.

• 4.  Re: Tech Tip: Cannot ping the device from OneClick console but can ping from command prompt on SpectroServer

Posted Oct 26, 2017 01:59 AM

Thanks Yan, great info.

Do you have a network sniffing tool that you recommend?

I use Fiddler for HTTP and Wireshark for anything at the network level like above.

Does anyone have any other favourites or use something different?

Kyle_R.

• 5.  Re: Tech Tip: Cannot ping the device from OneClick console but can ping from command prompt on SpectroServer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 26, 2017 02:04 AM

Hi Kyle,

I normally use Wireshark and I found it is quite good to use.

Good to know Fiddler is good for HTTP. I will test it.

Thank you.

Yan

• 6.  Re: Tech Tip: Cannot ping the device from OneClick console but can ping from command prompt on SpectroServer

Posted Oct 26, 2017 05:57 AM

Very good tip! Thanks a lot!

• 7.  Re: Tech Tip: Cannot ping the device from OneClick console but can ping from command prompt on SpectroServer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 26, 2017 08:36 PM

Glad I could help.