DX Application Performance Management

• 1.  Autoprobe excessive logging - options ?

Posted Oct 26, 2017 05:45 AM

Hi - just wondering about what is the best way to deal with excessive logging and log file sizes of the autoprobe  log.

We are on 10.1 agents

I have seen this option - -Dcom.wily.autoprobe.logSizeInKB - to be set on the JVM. Is there any detail on what this does specifically ? When the log file size is reached, what happens then ?

Also I have seen suggestions to set it to /dev/null or blank in the agent config. Any side effects to that ?

We are currently deploying cron jobs to null the log files but that's not ideal.

• 2.  Re: Autoprobe excessive logging - options ?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 26, 2017 08:46 AM

Dear Team:

If you are an APM Admin/customer or CA partner, can you please first to provide any suggestions to help Dave?  I'm sure some of you have encountered this at some point in your APM environments.

Thanks,

Matt

• 3.  Re: Autoprobe excessive logging - options ?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 27, 2017 09:50 AM

Dave,

When the autoprobe log reaches the size specified in -Dcom.wily.autoprobe.logSizeInKB, it immediately stops logging and will not log anymore as long as the agent is running.  Once the agent is restarted, the existing autoprobe log is renamed and the new one starts at 0 bytes.

Setting the log file to /dev/null has no side effects, you just won't be able to view it or give it to Support in the event of an issue and we request it to review.

I have never set it to blank in the profile, so not sure of the behavior,  however I think there may be an internal default setting to go to "Autoprobe.log" in the <agent home>/logs directory.

Thanks,

Matt

• 4.  Re: Autoprobe excessive logging - options ?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 29, 2017 04:46 PM

I tested restarting a 10.5.2 Java Agent after setting "introscope.autoprobe.logfile=" in the agent profile.

No AutoProbe log is created and IntroscopeAgent.log confirms:

===

10/30/17 08:16:22 AM AEDT [INFO] [IntroscopeAgent.Agent] Configuration property (introscope.autoprobe.logging) set to default value of ""
    10/30/17 08:16:22 AM AEDT [WARN] [IntroscopeAgent.Agent] No Introscope AutoProbe log file was specified. No logging will occur.

===

Testing confirms that the property is not hot config/dynamic and requires an AppServer/agent restart.

There is an existing KB which I will update with the information discussed here: How to limit the size of AutoProbe.log?