CA Service Management

• 1.  Stop Service Desk Incident Response emails

Posted Oct 26, 2017 06:17 AM

When we create an incident using mail eater, we get an email in response with the subject "Service Desk Incident Response".

Is it possible to stop this email being sent from SDM only for particular users/emails from which the incidents are created?. 

• 2.  Re: Stop Service Desk Incident Response emails

Posted Oct 26, 2017 08:28 AM

Hi vrangaswamy

Unfortunately I dont think there is a way to prevent it for only certain users or emails which the incidents are created from.  Its a global setting by object contact, and so if its set to go to "requestor" or "affected end user" and thats the person who opened the ticket by sending the email, they will all get the message.  There is no way to block it from certain contacts.  

Can we ask what the use case is behind this one?

Jon

• 3.  Re: Stop Service Desk Incident Response emails
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 26, 2017 09:53 AM

Hi Vishwanathan

1. If there are users who do not want to receive emails, you can set their notification method to "Notification" or leave it empty. You can also put a dummy not existent emil address for their contacts. This way they will not receive mails from Service Desk.

2. You could disable the <mail reply> on the Mailbox Rule and then rely on the Activity Notifications to send emails. The Activity Notification could be based on a notification rule that checks if the affected End User is perhaps not one of those that do not want to receive the mails. Just a thought, never tested it

===

Kind Regards,

Brian

• 4.  Re: Stop Service Desk Incident Response emails

Posted Oct 26, 2017 10:30 AM

Idea #2 should work, i second it

• 5.  Re: Stop Service Desk Incident Response emails

Posted Oct 26, 2017 10:57 AM

I agree - however for #1 - if that were done, then those users would not get ANY notifications from SDM.   For #2 - that might work, but not something I have ever tested.  It really depends if folks WANT those reply emails from maileater, OR if they are ok with just getting the initial notification for the ticket that gets created based on that email.  However, if they are relying on that reply to tell them if maileater failed to create that ticket from their email, then this may pose an issue for folks.  

But it could possibly work for you if they dont really care about the replies...

• 6.  Re: Stop Service Desk Incident Response emails

Posted Oct 26, 2017 02:04 PM

Hi,

another 3 but old method (used prior mailbox rules exist) is to directly put your logic into the txt_api_reply.spl file (take a copy to your site mod folder)

Make you own logic into this file and then based on the result put a specific string in your reply_msg.

then next you have 2 options:

1. make specific rules on your mail server to filter out message that come with this specific string
    2. create a new notification method that will call a small script to filter out prior to send out to your mail server.

Why to make it simple when we can complicate isn't

This is fully not supported nor either documented but sky is the limit at our own risks then make sure you have a parachute before taking that fly .

My 2 cents

/J