Plex 2E

• 1.  Why do my 2E functions have different prefixes by file?

Posted Oct 30, 2017 09:12 AM

In a single model, depending on which file I create a function over, I get a different prefix (first 2 characters of the function name) for a generated function depending on which file I am using.

Most of the files use the same prefix, which is determined by the 'SYS' record in YALCVNMRFP.

Others use entirely different prefixes. Some of these are files I have created myself and I didn't knowingly do anything to set up this "feature". The 3rd and 4th characters are allocated sequentially as expected within this prefix.

Does anyone have any idea how I can control this?

This is using 2E version 8.0 

It is a bit confused because we have some slightly customised naming using a library called "AUTONAME" which I think was supplied by SYNON many years ago. I think this is intended to prevent duplicate names being assigned across models, but I don't see how it could be causing this issue. 

I would be grateful if anyone has any ideas.

• 2.  Re: Why do my 2E functions have different prefixes by file?

Posted Oct 30, 2017 12:26 PM

Looking at it a bit more ... it seems that in this model the functions over a file are generated with the same prefix as the file itself (regardless of the 'SYS' value in YALCNMRFP).

This isn't how I thought it worked; and also means if you have run out of function names for the frequently used prefix, how can you force a new prefix for functions over these files?

• 3.  Re: Why do my 2E functions have different prefixes by file?
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 30, 2017 02:08 PM

G'day Robert,

It looks like you have a custom routine for assigning the implementation names for objects in your model.

I suspect someone in your organisation - or someone that used to be in your organisation - has made those changes which you are seeing in AUTONAME library.

I've not seen this practice in any of the organisations I have worked for in the past 30+ years around the globe.

Does the library AUTONAME sit above your model library in the library list?

You should be able to switch this off by removing the AUTONAME library from your library list.

CA 2E ships with some default naming source in Y2SYSRC library - these may have been used to build your AUTONAME library objects - with some customization.

HTH.

Regards,

Darryl