DX Application Performance Management

• 1.  How to show TIM collector service on CDVs

Posted Oct 30, 2017 11:04 AM

Hi, I am trying to figure out on showing the TIM collector service over multiple CDVs adding some kind of a ACL over the TIM data before making it visible in the CDVs

I have the following setup:

5 collectors

2 CDVs 

CDV#1 --> 4 collectors

CDV#2 --> 1 collector

1 MOM

1 Database server

Assume I have 2 applications APP#1 for CDV#1 and APP#2 for CDV#2. APP#1 posts the Business Segment data in the related agents; that is not working for APP#2, so there is a separate agent and CEM data stream for APP#2.

The situation is that I now have the TIM collector service running on a collector connected to CDV#1 with the result that CDV#2 is not able to see the TIM collector stats as this is currently needed as the CEM needs provides data to this environment. 

I have been suggested to put the TIM collector service to the CDV#2; which I am considering as plan B. , because if I need to restart the collector, the agents will be disconnected. And it will not resolve anything if there are applications with the same issue to be connected to CDV#1.

I also had the suggestion to move the business applications agents over the CDV related collectors. That sounded okay,

but does not seem to be a product feature.

My plan for now is to bring in a new TIM collector server which will be visible to all CDVs and to put somehow an ACL on top of it to exclude a part of the view to the collectors. I had a peak on domaining with virtual agents (per CDV), but I am not so sure if that will bring more hurdles.

Any alternative ideas of which I did not think?

Thanks for the feedback....  

Cees

• 2.  Re: How to show TIM collector service on CDVs

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 30, 2017 11:13 AM

Dear Team:

If you are an APM Admin/customer or CA partner, can you please first to provide any suggestions/practices to help Cees?   

Thanks,

Matt

• 3.  Re: How to show TIM collector service on CDVs

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 30, 2017 11:33 AM

Converting to a discussion since more of a custom solution/best practice than a question.

• 4.  Re: How to show TIM collector service on CDVs

Posted May 03, 2018 03:19 AM

All,

What I experienced sofar...

If you want to perform something with ACLs, the way to go is to use user domaining. CDVs are creating a physical separation of APM data. But if you want to perform some sharing on the pile of data, domaining seems to be the way yo go forward.

You can exclude paths (using ?! in the regex) in the PCRE, but I noticed that the domaining will not work on the SuperDomain. In addition; domaining is a feature which is still needed in TeamCenter (I was under the impression that this feature is not preferred anymore)

Keep that in mind...

(I'll close it off..)