Test Data Manager

• 1.  Convert EBCDIC to ASCII

Posted Oct 30, 2017 01:47 PM

Hello, I need to convert an EBCDIC file to ASCII, and I wanted to use TDM for this, I looked at the documentation that would have to do this with the Datamaker tool, but I'm not having success.

Someone could help me with this problem.

Thank you.

• 2.  Re: Convert EBCDIC to ASCII

Posted Oct 30, 2017 03:03 PM

Hi, 

The GTXGEN.exe conversion program reads a source file that is described by an advanced  DM.txt file. The conversion program then creates a target file that is described by another advanced DM.txt file.

Fields in the DM.txt files are matched by name and the data is converted and moved from the source to the target. You can perform the following operations: Convert EBCDIC<->ASCI

This documentation reviews the process: 

Convert File Formats - CA Test Data Manager - 4.3 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Mainframe File Conversion - CA Test Data Manager - 4.3 - CA Technologies Documentation 

If you have any issues with this, please open a support case by going to CA Support Online - CA Technologies

Best regards,

Taylor 

• 3.  Re: Convert EBCDIC to ASCII

Posted Oct 31, 2017 05:21 AM

Hello Taylor,  I had already seen this documentation but I could not follow the step by step, to generate the same.

Could you please help me in this case.

• 4.  Re: Convert EBCDIC to ASCII

Posted Oct 31, 2017 08:12 AM

Hi, can you please provide more details on the issue you are having?

1. What version of TDM-Mainframe you are using?

2. Steps to reproduce with screenshots.

3. Any error messages with screenshots.

4. The file you are trying to convert. 

It may take some time to troubleshoot this over the communities page. Can you please open a support case by going to CA Support Online - CA Technologies or Contact CA Support - CA Technologies ?

We can post the resolution here once the case is closed. 

Best regards, 

Taylor

• 5.  Re: Convert EBCDIC to ASCII

Posted Oct 31, 2017 08:27 AM

Follow the answers.

1- The TDM version is the 4.3
    2- We are not working inside the mainframe, we have an EBCDIC file.
    3- As I said, we still can not do the conversion.
    4- The file it is an EBCDIC extension ".ipm"

• 6.  Re: Convert EBCDIC to ASCII

Posted Oct 31, 2017 08:35 AM

Hi, 

Thank you for the further details. The EBCDIC file conversion is only available through the GTXGEN.exe conversion program, which is installed with the Mainframe packages. 

How are you currently trying to accomplish this?

Best regards,

Taylor

• 7.  Re: Convert EBCDIC to ASCII

Posted Oct 31, 2017 08:52 AM

File conversion from EBCDIC to ASCII can be complex in situations where the file contains compressed data fields etc.. This may end up being more difficult than you might think, but not because of anything related to TDM. Do you have the copybooks available for the file(s)?

• 8.  Re: Convert EBCDIC to ASCII
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 31, 2017 10:35 AM

You would need the TDM mainframe utilities to perform the conversion between EBCDIC->ASCII. If you have this, then the high level steps to convert from EBCDIC->ASCII are given below:

•  Obtain copybook for the EBCDIC file you are converting.
    • Use File Definition manager to parse the copypook. 

Working with Mainframe Files Using File Definition Manager - CA Test Data Manager - 4.3 - CA Technologies       Documentation 

• Once you have the file definition and mainframe definitions outputted, then you can begin the conversion process.
    • You will need to edit the command file and setup the parameters for your EBCDIC file

Convert File Formats - CA Test Data Manager - 4.3 - CA Technologies Documentation 

• Once you run this command file you would get the ASCII file.

Thanks,

Anil