CA Service Management

• 1.  Load some CIs from Sdesk1 to Sdesk2 - same DB different sites

Posted Oct 31, 2017 01:56 PM

Servicedesk 14.1 sp3

First of all thanks for all good help of you.

Now, my problem is : 

I need to extract some cmdb registers of the Sdesk1 and load these to the Sdesk2.

The DB is the same but installed in different sites.

I saw any documents about that but no one specific.

Please help me.

Rgds and thanks in advance.

• 2.  Re: Load some CIs from Sdesk1 to Sdesk2 - same DB different sites
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 31, 2017 03:46 PM

Hi Rubem,

When you say you need to extract some "cmdb registers" - what does that mean specifically?  Are you looking to extract CI's from one system and load them into another system?

From a support standpoint we dont support that just for the sole reason that there are multiple tables involved as well as each of those tables having columns with relationships to columns in other tables etc.  It can get ugly very quickly if its not done right, thus its something that we dont document.

Now thats not to say it cant be done because there are plenty of folks out here who have gotten it to work successfully without any problems.

The main table that CIs are held in on CMDB would be ca_owned_resource.  Those records may also have corresponding records in the usp_owned_resource as well.

If you have an attribute on those CIs that is the same across all of them, you could in theory do a a pdm_extract with a where clause against the "nr" object to pull the ones you want and load them into the other system. As long as any data refereneced by those CIs such as contacts, locations, organizations, etc. are aready existing in the target system and have the same Identifiers, then you should be OK.

Hope this helps a bit.

Thanks,

Jon I.

• 3.  Re: Load some CIs from Sdesk1 to Sdesk2 - same DB different sites

Posted Oct 31, 2017 04:52 PM

Hi Jon, you are correct as usual. I will use the where condition and select the registers by location.

Im looking at the admin guide , the pdm_extract and pdm_load.

Basically , the table is Resource detail, I guess.

It must be a easy way to do that.

• 4.  Re: Load some CIs from Sdesk1 to Sdesk2 - same DB different sites

Posted Nov 01, 2017 09:37 AM

On top of the tables Jon mentioned for a pdm_extract which were the:

ca_owned_resource and usp_owned_resource

you need to make sure to grab the record from the extension tables as well. This would be different on a CI basis. So if they are all servers for instance you would need to extract the rows you want from har_serx as well.

• 5.  Re: Load some CIs from Sdesk1 to Sdesk2 - same DB different sites

Posted Nov 01, 2017 10:57 AM

Agreed!

@rubem - I would say that this is not a great idea to do as we have all mentioned.  This could lead to data corruption and dangling references in the database which will cause issues later on, and is not something that CA Support would be able to assist in resolving at that point, so you would be on your own with it.

Lets take this one back to the start here - can you tell us the reason for moving these CIs from one system to another?  Is it being moved from a test/dev system to a prod system?  

Let us know the bigger picture here so we can give you some other ideas.

Thanks,

Jon

• 6.  Re: Load some CIs from Sdesk1 to Sdesk2 - same DB different sites

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 01, 2017 12:07 PM

way more than extension tables only...contact table, location table...the list is longer...

this is a very challenging...you would need some script like a mini/partial migration script for this purpose. 

• 7.  Re: Load some CIs from Sdesk1 to Sdesk2 - same DB different sites

Posted Nov 01, 2017 01:35 PM

Yeah its nearly half the database that could be interrelated because those related tables also have their own related tables so you would need to go recursively through the list to the bottom level.

Hence, not supported.

• 8.  Re: Load some CIs from Sdesk1 to Sdesk2 - same DB different sites

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 01, 2017 09:37 AM

Rubem, if you have a test install, please do that there to see how it goes...after you back up the mdb ...it may not be that easy...too many links that have the uuids everywhere and easily you will have some data integrity issues. Thanks _Chi