DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  Mapping Script output to an alert

Posted Nov 03, 2017 07:16 AM

Problem Area:

Would like to have top 5 processes which are consuming memory utilization when a memory alert is triggered.

Currently Nimsoft is capable to generate CPU related alert along with top 5 processes, a feature provided in cdm probe. But the same is not feasible for memory utilization. I know that there is already a voting going on in this forum to have this feature incorporated in cdm probe, but i want a work around till then.

Just a thought process to implement the solution and would like to know how much feasible is this.:-

As soon as a memory related alerts is generated from Nimsoft, a script will be executed from NAS. The script will pull out top 5 processes on that server which are consuming memory and then somehow we can map or add (prefix or suffix) in the main alert.

Let me know if the above thought can work !!!

Many thanks in advance.

Ankur

• 2.  Re: Mapping Script output to an alert
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 03, 2017 07:31 AM

I will suggest a different approach I would probably use if I had to deal with such a request right now.

I would probably not rely on LUA and NAS to ensure this, because it's a bit complex for that need and you lose a bit in reliability (because several components and communications channels are going to be used). I would instead create a small script in whatever language I need to:

- get the amount of free memory (to replace the feature already present in CDM),

-immediately after that show up in the stdout the top X processes consuming the more memory in case the threshold is breached, and 0 in case it's not.

You can then use the logmon probe (aka "the probe which does everything other probes cannot do") and run that script on a scheduled basis. Using the logmon features, you capture the output and do a regex catch on this: if it's 0 no alarm, and if you have anything else, alarm with the output. You can therefore generate an alarm with the top 5 memory-consuming processes whenever your memory threshold is breached!

That doesn't prevent you to open a "formal" idea with adding the feature you'd like to have directly into the CDM probe. It might be considered by product management and be added in a further release