DX NetOps

• 1.  Effect of DST change on Spectrum Maintenance Schedules

Posted Nov 06, 2017 06:48 AM

Hi All,

How the Spectrum handles maintenance schedules during the daylight saving time changes?

On Sunday, we have got few alarms even though the maintenance schedule got applied on respective models as below.

The schedule is "Every week on Sun from 1:30 AM for 32 hours" and when observed the events, bit confused on how the alarms are generated. Below is an example of the events flow.

StatusNameCreated OnEvent
    TRECS - PROD - TRECSWEBSERVER-JBOSSNov 4, 2017 9:30:01 AM EDTProcMon2790 (name - TRECS - PROD - TRECSWEBSERVER-JBOSS): The model has been taken out of Maintenance Mode by user 423562@spectrum01
    TRECS - PROD - TRECSWEBSERVER-JBOSSNov 5, 2017 1:43:34 AM EDTjbosssvc -r trecswebserver-jboss' also known as 'TRECS - PROD - TRECSWEBSERVER-JBOSS' is now running 0 instance(s) which is less than the specified minimum of 1 instance(s). This Process is being monitored by model NTTRECSWEBP01.conseco.ad. ProcMon2790 (name - TRECS - PROD - TRECSWEBSERVER-JBOSS). -
    CriticalTRECS - PROD - TRECSWEBSERVER-JBOSSNov 5, 2017 1:43:34 AM EDTjbosssvc -r trecswebserver-jboss' also known as 'TRECS - PROD - TRECSWEBSERVER-JBOSS' is now running 0 instance(s) which is less than the specified minimum of 1 instance(s). This Process is being monitored by model NTTRECSWEBP01.conseco.ad. ProcMon2790 (name - TRECS - PROD - TRECSWEBSERVER-JBOSS). -
    MaintenanceTRECS - PROD - TRECSWEBSERVER-JBOSSNov 5, 2017 1:30:00 AM ESTProcMon2790 (name - TRECS - PROD - TRECSWEBSERVER-JBOSS): The model has been put in Maintenance Mode by user 42356@spectrum01.
    TRECS - PROD - TRECSWEBSERVER-JBOSSNov 6, 2017 4:06:28 AM ESTModel TRECS - PROD - TRECSWEBSERVER-JBOSS of type ProcMon2790 has been contacted.

MM should apply at 1:30 AM EDT as per the schedule and as the time changes during DST and clock syncs back to 1 hour (i.e. 1 AM EST), the schedule should be in inactive state and think the alarm might have generated during this time. But, why the time is showing as 1:43:34 AM EDT, it should show the time as at least between 1:00 AM EST till 1:30 AM EST.

Please clarify me on the events flow mentioned above.

Regards,

Rajashekar

• 2.  Re: Effect of DST change on Spectrum Maintenance Schedules

Posted Nov 06, 2017 12:25 PM

Can anyone from CA help me on this?

Regards,

Rajashekar

• 3.  Re: Effect of DST change on Spectrum Maintenance Schedules
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 06, 2017 02:31 PM

Hi Rajashekar,

Spectrum should use the system clock to keep track of schedules. So, if your maintenance schedule is "Every week on Sun from 1:30 AM for 32 hours". I would expect the device to be placed in maintenance at 1:30 AM, as scheduled. The device should not have been taken out of maintenance until the 32 hours timer has expired, and shouldn't have been impacted by the Daylight Savings change.

Just to be sure, I setup a similar scenario, where I created a maintenance schedule to happen at 1:00 PM central time today, and the maintenance would last for 12 hours, on a Spectrum 10.2.1 SpectroSERVER. I then changed the system clock of the SpectroSERVER and set it back 1 hour, to 12:00 PM after the device was placed in maintenance. The device still shows to be in Maintenance.  If I fast forward the system clock 12 hours, the device is taken out of maintenance.

To get a better understanding of the events logged, I suggest opening a support case so we can review the events in question and help determine what happened to cause the alarms to be seen. We would need a copy of the $SPECROOT/Install-Tools/.history file and a copy of all the events for the device in question. Include all the events for the device and the sub-components showing when the device was placed in maintenance through the time the alarms were seen.

Thank you,

Brad