DX NetOps

• 1.  Cisco Meraki multi-tenant monitoring

Posted Nov 07, 2017 09:58 AM

Hello, 

Was asked if Spectrum does any Cisco Meraki device monitoring, particularly in a multi-tenant environment? If not today are there any plans in future to support these devices (Meraki APs, switches and FWs)?

https://meraki.cisco.com/

SNMP Overview and Configuration - Cisco Meraki 

Meraki cloud controller supports snmp but the challenge is - it uses same FQDN (snmp.meraki.com) with different snmp community strings for different tenants. And my understanding is that spectrum cannot monitor dynamic IPs. Plus we can only create one instance of Meraki controller (since the hostname is same for all tenants).

Thanks.

• 2.  Re: Cisco Meraki multi-tenant monitoring
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 07, 2017 10:17 AM

We currently do not have enhanced support for the Meraki devices.  I would suggest opening a case to request certification and specifically request support for the contexts.

Cheers

Jay

• 3.  Re: Cisco Meraki multi-tenant monitoring

Posted Nov 08, 2017 09:31 AM

The other issue you will have with Meraki, you can't manage them with SNMPv3 which is an absolute must have for doing so over the public Internet as Spectrum won't allow a forward slash / character in the user name which is, sadly, how Cisco auto-generate them!  I have a request out to CA to allow / in SNMPv3 usernames and it will apparently be delivered in a patch to 10.2.2 at some point.

What would make more sense, instead of doing it that way, is an integration like Ciscoworks etc. where you put in a URL and some credentials and then Spectrum creates a sort of proxy-model from what it gleans from Meraki.

To overcome some of our issues with Meraki, at least supporting our internal kit, is to have local SNMP strings defined too.  If you have customer-hosted SpectroSERVERs with a Meraki element to their network as well, you could look at doing it that way, at least until proper support for an already 2 year old technology is eventually catered for in either Spectrum or as a UIM probe.

• 4.  Re: Cisco Meraki multi-tenant monitoring

Posted Dec 01, 2017 08:42 AM

The Cisco Meraki devices are starting to appear in our Managed Services and we're being asked to provide support in Spectrum for these devices.  Yes, GnSNMPDev will work temporarily, but we'd like to see CA Spectrum certify these devices ASAP. #meraki #cisco-meraki

• 5.  Re: Cisco Meraki multi-tenant monitoring

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 01, 2017 10:49 AM

Hi John,

We do have a couple of cert requests in the system but I would encourage you to grab a sim and any mibs that you have and create a case requesting certification.

Cheers

Jay

• 6.  Re: Cisco Meraki multi-tenant monitoring

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 11, 2018 06:08 AM

Team, 

We are looking for some assistance in understanding Cisco Meraki deployments, If anyone is willing to assist please reach out directly to me Amit.Mohanty@ca.com

Thanks

Amit Mohanty

• 7.  Re: Cisco Meraki multi-tenant monitoring

Posted Jul 13, 2018 08:11 AM

We also ran into issues monitoring multiple customers with Meraki. We did the following:

Traps sent out from the Meraki Cloud come from different trap source IP adresses. Our network team made a source-NAT so Spectrum saw all traps with the same source. We modeled this IP as an SouthBound Gateway EventAdmin. We put the traps from the Meraki MIB in our custom SBGW trap mappings. One varbind of the trap contains the customer name. Using the SBGW we can map traps from Customer A on the device/model on Customer A's landscape. And Customer B to landscape B.

Granted this was a bit complicated to figure out and configure correctly.