Endevor

• 1.  Backout records

Posted Nov 07, 2017 11:18 AM

OK.  I give up.  Once again, I need basic information (from way back) and can't find it.  Oh for the days when the manuals explained the basics!!  As you know, I've been away from ENDEVOR for  LONG time - how/when are package backout records created?  We have some packages that end up with no backout information, even though the 'enable backout' option is turned on.  Is this because the footprint hasn't been created?  This is very basic stuff and if I could find a manual that explains how backout records are created, it would be so easy to figure this out without having to bother the community all the time.  If it's out there, could someone point me to it - because I have been completely unsuccessful in finding this very basic information.

Thanks.

• 2.  Re: Backout records
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 07, 2017 11:26 AM

Backout records for PDS members are created by SVCs

If they aren’t there, are you sure you are monitoring datasets or using source o/p datasets?

Reverse base datasets don’t create back outs 

• 3.  Re: Backout records

Posted Nov 07, 2017 12:36 PM

Thanks, but I've found out what it is.  We are not capturing the delete information in our Obsolete Processor, so there is no way to have backout records and to ship the package data.

Thanks to everyone who responded.  I appreciate it.

• 4.  Re: Backout records

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 08, 2017 03:16 AM

Hi Felicity,

I'm curious to see if I can help more about your obsolete processors.

If you need me to review one or more of them, feel free to send it to me.

Regards,

Ollivier

• 5.  Re: Backout records

Posted Nov 07, 2017 11:34 AM

Could you have BACKOUT=N coded in your processors?

"When you use packages, CA Endevor SCM, by default, maintains backout information for PDS members that are created, changed, or deleted during processor execution. If you do not want this information maintained for a library, code BACKOUT=N in the DD statement for the library."

• 6.  Re: Backout records

Posted Nov 07, 2017 11:38 AM

• 7.  Re: Backout records

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 07, 2017 11:47 AM

Hi Felicity,

To add something to Stuart's answer,

Backout are created automatically when copying any members from output library when the package is executed with option backout enabled.

When members are copied into the same library, Endevor then rename the old member with an encripted member name then copy the new member as is. 

You have to take into consideration that the use of backout will double the number of members in your libraries (each member has a backout). 

The package file will have pointers to the backout information as well as the new member. 

If you start using backout and you reset, delete, or commit  a package then the backout will be deleted. 
    If backout are not created for some elements, you need to check the processor used during package execution and check if the processor keyword BACKOUT=N has been set in the DD statement.

Let me know if this answer your question?

Regards,

Ollivier

• 8.  Re: Backout records

Posted Nov 07, 2017 11:53 AM

This is what the communities are for Felicity.  It's not a bother at all.  This is a great post and I'm sure many people who read it will gain some knowledge.