DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  How many java processes should I see on UIM server?

Posted Nov 09, 2017 04:16 PM

We've set up a very small environment of UIM to take a look.  We have the DB and Primary Hub on the same server along with two other servers running robots.  We've had as many as 24 devices discovered.  I started having issues with UMP giving errors "The browser has temporarily disconnected from..."  I'd get a list of java errors when I viewed the error log from the warning triangle displayed.  Looking on the Primary Hub server, I see there are about 27 java processes running.  one of them using over 1 GB of memory and 50% CPU.

Would this be normal?  I know that we'll need a different configuration when we decide to roll this out.  I'm just wondering if there is something installed wrong or a configuration I can change.

• 2.  Re: How many java processes should I see on UIM server?

Posted Nov 09, 2017 05:39 PM

This is pretty normal, there would be multiple Java process running in UIM depending on the number of probes on that server .Take a look at the Command Line or the PID in Task Manager you will get to know which probe is using the Java process 

• 3.  Re: How many java processes should I see on UIM server?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 09, 2017 10:11 PM

Hello,

It is normal to have java processes in primary hub. What's abnormal is 'one of them using over 1 GB of memory and 50% CPU.'

You can first check which probe is having this issue by searching this process pid in IM , try to deactivate and then activate the probe. If this does not help go on to create a ticket or 'CHAT' with support

BR.

• 4.  Re: How many java processes should I see on UIM server?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 10, 2017 05:11 AM

The over 1gb of memory is fine but the 50% cpu isn't, how many cores does the primary hub have ?

The whole server might be consuming 50% cpu but not a single java process.

I suggest you turn on some self monitoring with the processes probe on the core processes (not just java ones)

Discovery_server;nas;hub;nimbus;distsrv;data_engine;udm;mon_config_service;AE are probably good to start with.

regards

• 5.  RE: Re: How many java processes should I see on UIM server?

Posted Aug 05, 2019 10:19 AM
    Will that work ? Is there any other solution ?

• 6.  Re: How many java processes should I see on UIM server?

Posted Nov 10, 2017 08:49 AM

Hello moores3 ,

Here is a Technical KB Document to help you about the Java Process:

Why do I have multiple java processes? 

This other one from the Manual, is related to the Minimum Hardware Requirements:

https://docops.ca.com/ca-unified-infrastructure-management/8-5-1/en/installing-ca-uim/pre-installation-planning/prepare-your-server-hardware

The Minimum number of CPU's are 2 CPU's

But we recommend 4 CPU's actually!

Can you share a Screenshoot about your high CPU Usage?

Maybe will be necessary to engage CA Support for further analysis with the Chat or Support Ticket.

• 7.  Re: How many java processes should I see on UIM server?

Posted Nov 16, 2017 07:56 AM

Hello moores3 ,

Could you please confirm if you already have the correct answer on this thread?

If yes, please mark the answer.

Regards,

• 8.  Re: How many java processes should I see on UIM server?

Posted Nov 17, 2017 02:01 PM

i am moving this thread to the UIM community, please be sure to follow that space: CA Unified Infrastructure Management