Rally Software

• 1.  Task not associating with milestones of user stories

Posted Nov 10, 2017 02:26 AM

I am trying to create a task dashboard for listing down specific tasks from milestones added in a user story.

e.g. a User story, say US101010 is marked for milestone release of R1.1. I add a task "Add DB table in customer_Info table" under the US and assigned a tag "DB_Task" to the task created.

Now in dashboard, i create the page using "Custom List" selected a "Task" and in Query, i added (Tags.Name = "DB_Task") so that it will pull all such tasks under the project.

Now this works fine till this time. But now when i want to filter the tasks from milestones for consolidating, i dont get anything under the milestone as tasks appears do not inherit the milestone from user stories. 

How to sort this issue ?

• 2.  Re: Task not associating with milestones of user stories

Posted Nov 13, 2017 07:46 AM

i wonder if Rally team can look into this and get back as i am facing real world problem.

• 3.  Re: Task not associating with milestones of user stories
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 13, 2017 07:51 AM

You can do this... if your Milestone's formatted ID is MI123 then the query argument that you want is:

(WorkProduct.Milestones.FormattedID = "MI123") 

Hope that helps.

• 4.  Re: Task not associating with milestones of user stories

Posted Nov 13, 2017 08:33 AM

Thanks EricNash this resolved issue for a specific milestone based case.

I have a team of 10 members who wish to use such dashboard and at any time they keep on switching milestones to get packaging tasks. I am not sure if this is CA feature gap (or defect) which doesn't inherit the milestone to tasks.

Atleast, I could temporarily got the solution. Let's hope CA takes note of this issue and resolves. 

• 5.  Re: Task not associating with milestones of user stories

Posted Nov 14, 2017 06:29 PM

From my personal experience,

Tasks do not inherit the milestone from the parent, just as User Stories do not inherit the milestone from the feature/portfolio item.

You can assign milestones to Tasks themselves.  You can do this from the U.I. doing a bulk edit from a grid/list view (i.e. select more than one task, left click and select Milestone.  The only caveat is you can't see the milestone box inside the task itself.  You can only view or edit a task's milestone from the grid/list view. 

You can set up a query to check task milestones against the workproducts' milestones, so it will tell you how many tasks are out of sync with their parents.  You can change ALL the Milestones for all the stories and their tasks in a feature if you expand all the stories and select all and milestone.  It might take a while and you might have to refresh to ensure it worked entirely (by adding milestones column to the grid). When expanding, you need to scroll through the entire list so all stories open up before triggering select all.

Hope this helps,

Michael Addington.