CA Service Management

• 1.  HELP PLEASE: Creating condition for log comment notification

Posted Nov 13, 2017 06:46 AM

CA Service Desk manager conditions created in location Administration -> Events and Macros -> Macros.

Used for the purpose of creating a condition to attach to a Notification rule. Located in Administration -> Notifications -> Notification Rules

Then linked to an activity type. Administration -> Notifications ->Activity Notifications

Hoping someone here can help, I'm trying to create a condition/site defined condition for a notification rule on the activity "Log Comment". I'm wanting it to notify based on the following conditions but after playing around with different site defined conditions struggling to get it to work the way I want.

Use case example:

TenantA - Service Provider

TenantB - Customer

TenantC - Customer

TenantD - Customer

UserInTenantA - Employee/Analyst

UserinTenantB - Customer/Client

Notify comment logged if:

A comment is logged by a user from any tenant except by a user in TenantA

Do not Notify if:

A comment is logged by user from tenant A

Help please? Happy to clarify further if this isn't clear enough. Thank you

• 2.  Re: Creating condition for log comment notification

Posted Nov 14, 2017 11:11 AM

Hi James,

We will need some further clarification.  Are you working with the CA Server Automation product?

Please provide some more information with screenshots if possible.

Thanks,
    Kevin

• 3.  Re: Creating condition for log comment notification

Posted Nov 15, 2017 05:28 AM

Hi Kevin,

I can't provide screenshots unfortunatly but I'm not using the server automation product. This is CA Service Desk manager and I'm talking about conditions created in location Administration -> Events and Macros -> Macros.

Used for the purpose of creating a condition to attach to a Notification rule. Located in Administration -> Notifications -> Notification Rules

Then linked to an activity type. Administration -> Notifications ->Activity Notifications

• 4.  Re: HELP PLEASE: Creating condition for log comment notification

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 15, 2017 02:32 PM

Hello,

Notifcation Rules only work using a singular If-Then logic condition. It will only test the singular condition it has been given and will send out the notification should the associated condition resolves as TRUE. No further logic is performed on the notification rule once the initial condition has been processed.

If you create a condition such as:  "User IN (TenantB, TenantC, TenantD)"

This would test if the given contact, the "User", is a member of TenantB, TenantC, or TenantD. If this condition returns true, it will trigger the notification. A user who belongs to TenantA would fail the test, the condition returns FALSE, and the notification does not fire.

Hoping this helps?

• 5.  Re: HELP PLEASE: Creating condition for log comment notification

Posted Nov 16, 2017 05:20 AM

Hi David,

Thank you for your response, I've got the logic idea. But I cannot get the attributes in the conditions to link to the users tenant? How can I do this. I need assistance with creating the condition using the attributes available?

Has someone at CA managed to do this? Usually when I define by the "tenant" attribute it looks at the ticket "tenant" not the user commenting "tenant". I've tried using the Last modified by attribute but this still cannot link up with the users tenant. Unless I need to create a new activity association? If I need to do this can you walk me through how I can get this setup to work?

Thank you for your help, really appreciated.

• 6.  Re: HELP PLEASE: Creating condition for log comment notification

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 29, 2017 02:37 PM

Hello James

I do apologise for the delay on this.

On further examination of the materials, I do not think what you are looking for can be done directly with activity log attributes.  The reason is that I noticed that the site defined conditions allow you to only choose specific attributes from which you can test conditions against from the given object, in this case request/incident/problems.  These attributes are usually the SREL (1-1) attributes such as the Incident's assignee or description.  There is no such attribute available for activity log defined unfortunately that you can select in the Site defined conditions.

If you wanted to use an attribute direct to the ticket, such as "last modified by" field, you can try linking to its tenant attribute by creating an activity association first.  In this case, I have created one that identifies the ticket's "last mod by" user's tenant:

You can then create a site defined condition and an atomic condition that leverages the tenant:

Hope this helps!  Apologies for the delay in response!