Symantec Access Management

• 1.  dbarchive can't be scheduled in 8.1.3

Posted Nov 14, 2017 10:15 AM

Prior to version 8.1.3, there is dbprune zip file which will allow user to run the program to purge data from Riskminder database. Starting from 8.1.3, the function is built in the product and the previous supported dbprune was not supported in new version.

However, the dbarchive can't be scheduled. The first time, it will start after the uds server restarts, the next time it will start from the last finished time. So the dbarchive will shift the start time based on how much time was spent in last deletion of rows. As we have large number of records which need to be removed, to minimize the user impact, we have to purge the data at a less busy time (at night time). 

Have anybody come across the same issue? Is there any work around? 

Thanks in advance.

• 2.  Re: dbarchive can't be scheduled in 8.1.3

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 14, 2017 06:05 PM

You can use dbprune tool in 813 as well. Also regarding the log trimming tool I didn't experience the same behavior in my environment probably because my environment small data. 

I will update you regarding the dbprune tool through the case you have opened. 

Awijit

• 3.  Re: dbarchive can't be scheduled in 8.1.3

Posted Nov 15, 2017 09:18 AM

No, DBPrune does work in 8.1.3

$ ./dbprune.sh -days 80 -report 
    log4j:WARN No appenders could be found for logger (com.arcot.ini.parser.IniConfiguration).
    log4j:WARN Please initialize the log4j system properly.
    log4j:WARN See http://logging.apache.org/log4j/1.2/faq.html#noconfig for more info.
    Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/arcot/crypto/api/AccessKey
            at com.arcot.crypto.impl.DBUtilSoftwareCrypter.<init>(DBUtilSoftwareCrypter.java:36)
            at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
            at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:57)
            at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:45)
            at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:526)
            at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Class.java:383)
            at com.arcot.crypto.api.CryptoFactory.getDBUtilSoftwareCrypter(CryptoFactory.java:118)
            at com.arcot.crypto.impl.SecureStoreUtil.initializeCrypter(SecureStoreUtil.java:310)
            at com.arcot.crypto.impl.SecureStoreUtil.initVPASCryptoUtil(SecureStoreUtil.java:254)
            at com.arcot.crypto.impl.SecureStoreUtil.initVPASCryptoUtil(SecureStoreUtil.java:236)
            at com.arcot.database.DatabaseConnectionProperties.<clinit>(DatabaseConnectionProperties.java:67)
            at com.arcot.database.util.DatabaseConfigurator.buildDatabaseProperties(DatabaseConfigurator.java:82)
            at com.arcot.database.DatabaseProperties.getInstance(DatabaseProperties.java:94)
            at com.arcot.database.DatabaseProperties.getInstance(DatabaseProperties.java:91)
            at com.ca.advauth.util.DBPrune.setupDB(DBPrune.java:269)
            at com.ca.advauth.util.DBPrune.setup(DBPrune.java:222)
            at com.ca.advauth.util.DBPrune.setArgs(DBPrune.java:102)
            at com.ca.advauth.util.DBPrune.main(DBPrune.java:81)
    Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.arcot.crypto.api.AccessKey
            at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:366)
            at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:355)
            at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
            at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:354)
            at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:425)
            at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:308)
            at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:358)

• 4.  Re: dbarchive can't be scheduled in 8.1.3
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 15, 2017 02:19 PM

The dbprune tool needs to connect to the DB for that there are other configurations need to be made. Please follow the link that I updated in case 00888206

• 5.  Re: dbarchive can't be scheduled in 8.1.3

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 23, 2018 09:24 AM

Are there any way to schedule the dbarchive? I'm working on a big project and I would like to avoid to execute the dbarchive procedure during peak time.

• 6.  Re: dbarchive can't be scheduled in 8.1.3

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 26, 2018 04:29 PM

If you are using the OOTB log trimming tool then the only way to start it at a specific time is by restarting it at that time. So if you want to start the dbtrimming at 1p, then restart your UDS server at 1p and make sure that "RunFrequencyMins" is set to 1440 minutes.

The other way is to automate the dbprune script so it run at night time.

• 7.  Re: dbarchive can't be scheduled in 8.1.3

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 27, 2018 05:03 AM

Awijit,

Well, for what I understood  in other discussions, if I start the arcotuds at 1 AM and the dbarchive takes 10 minutes for complete, the day after the job will start at 1:10 AM. So slowly the scheduled time move forward without control.

• 8.  Re: dbarchive can't be scheduled in 8.1.3

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 27, 2018 02:40 PM

Hi Francesco, Yes that is correct, the next day DBarchive will start after 24 hours of when it ended last time if you have configured 1440 minutes.

I have tested this before and confirm. 

That is why i mentioned that you can use dbprune tool instead.

Thanks

Awijit