Clarity

• 1.  Can't Run GEL

Posted Nov 14, 2017 06:20 PM

Good Day,

I am trying to refresh my learning from earlier this year concerning XOG/GEL/NSQL.  We are on CA PPM 15.2.

I can get xog to work; however, when I try to run gel I get an error:

>xog/bin>gel

\Common was unexpected at this time

I fear that it is the way may Path variable is set up: 

C:\app\oracle\product\12.1.0\client_1\bin;C:\app\oracle\product\12.1.0\client1\bin;C:\app\mictog\product\12.1.0\client_1\bin;C:\app\mictog\product\12.1.0\client_1;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Business Objects\3.0\bin\NOTES\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Business Objects\3.0\bin\NOTES\DATA\;C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Microsoft Online Services;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Microsoft Online Services;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\WINDOWS\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\WINDOWS\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\WINDOWS\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files (x86)\IDM Computer Solutions\UltraEdit;c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Binn\ManagementStudio\;c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Binn\;c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Binn\;c:\Program Files (x86)\MicrosoftSQL Server\110\DTS\Binn\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\DTS\Binn\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\VSShell\Common7\IDE\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\DTS\Binn\

I am looking for guidance.  When I remove the "PATH" from the GEL.BAT file (there is a line that appends the path to the Java_Home, etc.)  I actually can get GEL to cooperate and tell me the useage, but calling a gel (xml) file fails.  So, my question is; do I have to correct all of the references above to Program Files (x86) to be Progra~1, and Program Files to Progra~2 in order to get GEL to work as expected?

Thank you for the help.

Michael.

• 2.  Re: Can't Run GEL

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 14, 2017 06:50 PM

Posted in wrong community

• 3.  Re: Can't Run GEL

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 15, 2017 05:05 AM

If this is just a long vs short name issue, just open a DOS prompt, navigate to the folder above the one you need and type 'dir /x'. MS will show you the 8.3 format names of files and folders. Replace your PATH entry.

• 4.  Re: Can't Run GEL

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 14, 2017 07:41 PM

Hi 

To resolve the issue, just add " where ever Program Files (x86) folder used

Example

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\DTS\Binn\"

• 5.  Re: Can't Run GEL
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 14, 2017 11:22 PM

Just convert your %PATH% variable to be all 8.3 file format.  I use a utility call Rapid Environment Editor which will quickly convert from short to long or long to short.

V/r,

Gene