Clarity

• 1.  Custom object xog read performance

Posted Nov 15, 2017 10:09 AM

Hello,

I'm currently trying to design an integration that requires me to read a custom object instance from PPM, that at the moment has 4 custom fields and around 250 records. The xog read of the custom object instances takes around 2 mins to create the output file (using cmd to execute the xog). This is a bit problematic since the number of instances will greatly increase in the future when it goes to the production environment.

Is there any optimization i can do to minimize the export time?

Thank you.

• 2.  Re: Custom object xog read performance

Posted Nov 15, 2017 10:21 AM
      |   view attached

Can you try creating a content pack?

NJ

• 3.  Re: Custom object xog read performance

Posted Nov 15, 2017 10:49 AM

Hi NJ

I need to export the instances of the custom object, not the object itself. Is there a way to do this with content pack xml?

Also is there any way i can filter the records to read based on a value from a custom field? Some sort of <filter/> tag.

Thank you.

• 4.  Re: Custom object xog read performance

Posted Nov 16, 2017 09:01 PM

Hi TiagoAb, any reason you can't write a GEL script to output the required data?  I've got GEL scripts exporting around 25,000 rows finishing in 2 seconds.

Alternative, have your considered webservices calls for your integration, rather than exporting to a flat file?

• 5.  Re: Custom object xog read performance

Posted Nov 17, 2017 06:43 AM

Hello Rolland.

If i do this via gel script its takes a few seconds, but using the xog webservice it takes around 2 mins. That is what i dont understand what might be causing this.

Thank you.

• 6.  Re: Custom object xog read performance

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 16, 2017 09:20 PM

Hi TiagoAb,

Increasing xog heap memory may improve performance.

Edit the xog.bat file in the xog bin folder. Try to change the -Xmx512m value as follows:

set PROGRAM_ARGS=%SSL_DEBUG_ARG% -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -Xmx1024m -Dniku.home="%NIKU_HOME%" -Dforehead.conf.file="%NIKU_HOME%\bin\xog.forehead" com.werken.forehead.Forehead -installDir "%NIKU_HOME%"

Note: I always use -Xmx1024m. This size is depending on your available memory.

• 7.  Re: Custom object xog read performance

Posted Nov 17, 2017 06:47 AM

Hello shoichi,

By changing this parameter, does it affect the calls to the xog webservice?

Thank you.

• 8.  Re: Custom object xog read performance
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 19, 2017 10:08 PM

Hi  TiagoAb,

It affects xog client only because xog.bat is modified. 

I read this discussion thread and found that invoking xog via gel script is good performance.

The xog via gel script is good performance, but xog webservice is bad performance in your environment.

The xog via gel script is running server side.

The xog webservice may need network traffic between client and server, and it is required to parse webservice xml.

One of reason for bad performance may be caused by your network performance or parsing xml may take a lot of time.

BTW, there is knowledge about governor limitation.

Governor Limits in CA PPM 

Please check MAX_XML_NODES value in your governor.properties.  

It is 15000 as default.  If it is modified, the performance issue may occur.

Thank you.